A Traditional Front Entrance

One of the most important things I have learned about decorating is to give validation or importance to the things you can't change! My forty-something year old bi-level with a Federal, Georgian facade was built in the middle of five acres of woodland, Carolinian forest, surrounded by two hundred acres of Niagara Escarpment. Not the ideal style home for this location! A lovely stone cottage with a wrap around porch would be what I would have built here!
But, my husband and I fell in love with the property and decided, over thirty years ago, to live with what we could. So, with the renovation last year came many decisions and changes. One of the things we could not change was the exterior, due to budget restrictions.
We replaced the entrance door with new doors, surround and columns. Still keeping the style of the house intact.
Even the outdoor urns and plantings reflect the formality of the exterior, because I think the red brick is so prominent. I am growing English ivy to soften the colour and blend with the surrounding exterior gardens and woodland-patience is being practiced here!
It is growing much too slowly for my liking!
Very simple columns were replaced...the previous ones were fluted and more ornate as was the door surround. I decided simple was best and would make the exterior look less formal. A Hardie board, board and batten look was added to the front window. Again making the exterior look less formal.
I am very happy with the front doors. Allowing for more light to flood the front entrance.
Another very traditional little touch. An iron bench compliments the front door space.
I added a garden gate to the back walk this Spring to tie both front and back entrances together.
Thankfully the gardens blend well with the house and surrounding grounds. An abundance of stone and very informal plantings keep everything from looking too formal and planned. I love to garden and have been sculpting my garden for a long time! Japanese primrose just beginning to bloom.
It has found it's way to the perfect places!
The back walk to the lower terrace, flanked with hydrangea, ferns, hosta and pachysandra ground cover. Still trying to keep things simple, country, and less formal. I think everything is doable with a little thought, perseverance and mostly patience. Our homes can be a reflection of what we love and dream of! N.

3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Nella Miller Design