DIY Wood Casserole Tray

$10

This DIY Wood Casserole Tray with handles is a cute and creative way to display your food dishes at home or as a carrier when you are headed to a party. The chalkboard label allows you to label your food dish for guests.

Here are the cuts for two trays, a small and a large one. The large one fits a 9 x 13 inch pan and the small fits a 9 x 9 inch pan.

Here are the cuts. If you don't have enough scrap you can

diy wood casserole tray

After the cuts were made I glued and nailed one side to one end. Then one at a time I glued and nailed the edges of the bottom pieces to the end piece and nailed any side pieces to end pieces as indicated. I used a scrap piece of wood and a carpenters square to help keep it square. 

diy wood casserole tray

Once I got all the bottom pieces in I glued and nailed the last side and end piece to complete the large tray. 

diy wood casserole tray

I repeated this same process for the small tray.

I filled in the nails holes with wood filler and then I sanded the whole piece. Then I cleaned and wiped down both trays to get ready to paint. 

I applied one coat of black latex paint and let it dry. Then I applied two coats of white chalk paint to the large casserole tray and the Reflection chalk paint to the small casserole tray. Once this dried I sanded the tray and the edges. This helped bring out the black paint underneath. 

diy wood casserole tray

I applied a sealer, stenciled a chalkboard label and attached the drawer pulls. The triple thick sealer I used is great as you only need to apply one coat. As an added touch I wanted to be able to label my food so I created a label stencil with my Silhouette Cameo.

diy wood casserole tray

To protect surface areas you can add some felt pads under each corner as well. Now they are ready to be used.

diy wood casserole tray
diy wood casserole tray
diy wood casserole tray
diy wood casserole tray

I hope this DIY Casserole Tray offers you an easy, convenient and unique way to tote all your food dishes to parties or to display at home.

If you would like another wood tray to make that works great for parties as well then check out this Easy Wood DIY Serving Tray. If you love the look of trays for decorating then you will love this Modern Farmhouse Wood Tray.

Thanks for checking out this project!

Happy Building,

Tiffany

Tiffany from Dream Design DIY

• Bev Warren

Love your idea Lisa--I will plan to make one, so hoping it looks as nice as yours. I can see that it could be put to many uses. Thanks

• Butterfly
    30 minutes ago

Drawers from castoff chests work well for this - and often they are free. Just replace handles at each end and paint. Obviously they must be ones with flat front.