Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Hometalk Originals
Hometalk Originals
  • Hometalk Team
  • West Orange, NJ

DIY PVC Pipe Organizer for Your Shoes

$100

Shoe clutter has always been a problem that haunts our entryway. Between everyone's everyday shoes, sports shoes, boots, and leisure shoes, there's barely any floor space!

I'm always on the hunt for creative ways to stow clutter, so after the last time I tripped walking in the door, the wheels in my head started turning on turbo. What I came up with is an easy, affordable, and attractive enough way to store

See what I mean? Total chaos!
See what I mean? Total chaos!

I started by assessing the situation. With all the different types of shoes (at varying degrees of cleanliness), it became clear that we would need some storage method that kept the pairs separate from one another but didn't take up too much space.

Also, if I could manage it, something white would blend into the space best.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

First thing's first—I measured a few of the pairs to make sure that whatever I built would be the right fit.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

I sped over to Home Depot and bought a few 6" wide PVC pipes.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

I needed them to be about a foot deep each, so the next step was to cut them down to size.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

After cutting the pipes, there were bits of plastic confetti coating everything. I started by trying to wipe the pipes down, but then I figured out this really cool trick! I used a hairdryer on cool and blew the PVC dust off of all of the pipes. A hairdryer is especially handy, because it also helps you get rid of the little shreds clinging onto the inside of the tubes.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

Next, I wiped down my pipes so that I had a completely clean surface before I added my glue.

I used Oatey All Purpose Cement to glue the pipes together. I started by spreading the glue down the bar code printed on each pipe, so that it wouldn't show when the organizer was all assembled.

*Tip: You can also erase the bar code with nail polish remover, if you'd rather.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

I glued 3 rows of 4 PVC pipes and then stacked them and glued them together. I waited a full hour of dry time between each step. If you don't allow for the cement glue to dry fully, the organizer will fall apart when you try to set it up.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

I stood the organizer against the wall in my entryway and began filling it up with pairs.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

And here it is all set up! There you have it—pretty and practical organization for under $100.

diy pvc pipe organizer for your shoes

My kids might even be excited enough to clean up their shoes next time!

• Denise Wright

Then when the kids are grown and gone,

it is a great Wine rack!

• Kasey Lynn

I love this PVC shoe organizer ! I need something for all of my adult shoes, I have a large variety of tennis shoes and heels along with boots of all sizes, some of my boots are heels and thigh high . Please reply with something crafty and pink🥰🥰

• MaryAnn

Paint some clothespins your favorite pink use them to clamp the boots together so they don't flop. Or get some panty hose clips with the hanging loop attached . They can be hung from a sturdy tension rod like a shower curtain you can reposition. Out of season put the rod at the top of a closet & hang them up out of the way. Drape with a

beach towel to keep dust off. In wearing season reposition the rod just under your hanging clothing where you can easily reach them. I agree with Naomi on the pool noodle alternative, too. Good Idea. I have my shoes on a stacked rack with roll out shelves at the bottom of the closet. Each pair is in a plastic bag with the end left open, so they don't

get dusty & the leather can breathe. I roll out the shelf to grab the pair I need. The open top holds my slippers & bedsocks, easy to reach.