DIY PVC Pipe Organizer for Your Shoes

$100

Shoe clutter has always been a problem that haunts our entryway. Between everyone's everyday shoes, sports shoes, boots, and leisure shoes, there's barely any floor space!

I'm always on the hunt for creative ways to stow clutter, so after the last time I tripped walking in the door, the wheels in my head started turning on turbo. What I came up with is an easy, affordable, and attractive enough way to store shoes, while keeping them easily accessible—using PVC pipes!

Learn tons of other hacks to an organized closet, by joining our organizing workshop! Registration ends May 15th, so hurry!

See what I mean? Total chaos!

I started by assessing the situation. With all the different types of shoes (at varying degrees of cleanliness), it became clear that we would need some storage method that kept the pairs separate from one another but didn't take up too much space.

Also, if I could manage it, something white would blend into the space best.

First thing's first—I measured a few of the pairs to make sure that whatever I built would be the right fit.

I sped over to Home Depot and bought a few 6" wide PVC pipes.

I needed them to be about a foot deep each, so the next step was to cut them down to size.

After cutting the pipes, there were bits of plastic confetti coating everything. I started by trying to wipe the pipes down, but then I figured out this really cool trick! I used a hairdryer on cool and blew the PVC dust off of all of the pipes. A hairdryer is especially handy, because it also helps you get rid of the little shreds clinging onto the inside of the tubes.

Next, I wiped down my pipes so that I had a completely clean surface before I added my glue.

I used Oatey All Purpose Cement to glue the pipes together. I started by spreading the glue down the bar code printed on each pipe, so that it wouldn't show when the organizer was all assembled.

*Tip: You can also erase the bar code with nail polish remover, if you'd rather.

I glued 3 rows of 4 PVC pipes and then stacked them and glued them together. I waited a full hour of dry time between each step. If you don't allow for the cement glue to dry fully, the organizer will fall apart when you try to set it up.

I stood the organizer against the wall in my entryway and began filling it up with pairs.

And here it is all set up! There you have it—pretty and practical organization for under $100.

My kids might even be excited enough to clean up their shoes next time!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Pamela
    Pamela

How much do those pipes cost?

• Truckergirl
      Truckergirl

Try a Habitat for Humanity store if there is one near you. Sometime they have pipe.

• Sharon
    Sharon

It looks like you already had a perfectly fine organizer....but no one used it. How will this be different?

• Selina Waugh
    Selina Waugh

Great idea that I'm definitely going try. I'd like to know if it can be painted and what kind would you suggest?

• Darlene Mitchell
      Darlene Mitchell

Krylon for plastic won't chip on plastic. Give it a very light sand before spray painting. Of course you know to use outside or a well ventilated shop.