Cornered Into a Shelf

$10

A neighbor tossed out seven folding wood closet doors, so guess who picked them up...

The doors were already perfectly set up to make a corner shelf. The first step was to make the Triangular wood shelves. I used a sheet of one inch plywood to cut out five triangular shelves. Four shelves and one for the top.

The next step was to decide where to position the shelves. I measured and marked equal distance from top to bottom of the doors. I marked the inside three corners as a way to keep the shelves level. Using 2” finish screws, I started at the top and fastened the three corners. I used a level on each shelf to ensure they were level.

The front shelf edges were not finished, so I found enough pieces of trim to face the four shelves. For the top I decided to use a large dental mold trim also from my leftover pile.

After attaching the trim with 1” trim nails, I used Rustoleum Country Gray to paint it.

Here is the finished project. I decided not to paint the trim to give the piece a color contrast.

This corner shelf piece was an easy project and practically free. So keep your eye out for those treasures lurking on your streets. I now have six more projects to create from one stop.

• Laura

Great idea!

I'm curious as to why the triangles weren't made slightly smaller, so they didn't protrude...eliminating the need for any trim, esp since it's painted.

• Joe Jones

Gary you said you used one inch plywood. That 1/2” plywood. Also what do you mean by finishing screws? Did you use the ones that have a a very small head with Star bit and w cut thread? I’ve never heard of a finishing screw.

• Lindsey

how did you fasten shelves to doors? Just screws? Just wondering if a thin shelf would cause wood split... I always end up messing this up.

• Anna Sannoh

Absolutely brilliant! Love it.

• Jan

Gary, your piece is fabulous! I have a corner sink in a bathroom that I've never figured out how to shelve. This right here is it - problem solved! Thank you so much for sharing your idea & work - I am so doing this.