Cornered Into a Shelf

$10

A neighbor tossed out seven folding wood closet doors, so guess who picked them up...

The doors were already perfectly set up to make a corner shelf. The first step was to make the Triangular wood shelves. I used a sheet of one inch plywood to cut out five triangular shelves. Four shelves and one for the top.

The next step was to decide where to position the shelves. I measured and marked equal distance from top to bottom of the doors. I marked the inside three corners as a way to keep the shelves level. Using 2” finish screws, I started at the top and fastened the three corners. I used a level on each shelf to ensure they were level.

The front shelf edges were not finished, so I found enough pieces of trim to face the four shelves. For the top I decided to use a large dental mold trim also from my leftover pile.

After attaching the trim with 1” trim nails, I used Rustoleum Country Gray to paint it.

Here is the finished project. I decided not to paint the trim to give the piece a color contrast.

This corner shelf piece was an easy project and practically free. So keep your eye out for those treasures lurking on your streets. I now have six more projects to create from one stop.

• Lindsey

how did you fasten shelves to doors? Just screws? Just wondering if a thin shelf would cause wood split... I always end up messing this up.

• Zanne Goldwire

What was used to hold the 2 shutters together, prior to adding the shelves?...or was it the shelves being in place that held the 2 shutters rogether? Thanks in advance for your response.

• Gary Hardman

These were bi-fold doors and had 3 hinges so it would fold. Made it easier to just add the shelves.

• Dianna Bowie Richardson

How do you determine the size of the triangles?