Erin Reed
Erin Reed
  • Pflugerville, TX

Upcycled Popcorn Tin Into a Beautiful Trash Can

$10

I have this huge pile of popcorn tins that I just can seem to throw away - so I decided it was time to turn one into something amazing - a beautiful trash can!!

upcycled popcorn tin into a beautiful trash can

start with some used popcorn tins - make sure to clean then out really well. Pick a size that works for your area as a trash can.

You can even use tins that are full of color like this one.

paint the tin with gesso, this covers up the previous design.

i then gave it a coat of paint in teal - but if this is not your style pick a color of your choice! II used a heavy body acrylic paint for good coverage.

I used a stencil brush to apply silver gesso to the tin thru the stencil, i had to move it around a few times to cover the whole tin, but you would never know :) After the whole thing had dried i applied a tin layer of clear gesso to seal everything.

After everything had dried I flipped over the can and glued on a section of felt to the bottom so it would not make noise or scuff up my floors. Works like a charm!

Now I have a pretty trash can that sits in my craft room that not only is super functions but adds to the decor of the room - plus it upcycled a popcorn tin that I had left over from the holidays!! Pop on over to my   BLOG for a few extra tips and additional pictures about this project!

• Popcorn tin  (upcycle)
  • The Crafter's Workshop Heavy Body Paint  (amazon)
  • The Crafter's Workshop white gesso  (amazon)
Erin Reed

• Ann Alt

wouldn't a light sanding and then spraying with a white primer be quicker? I get that the brush strokes give it some extra charm.. I love your concept... and the stencil is very cute..

• NancyMaria

What about adding an old door or cabinet knob for a handle on top?

• Erin Reed

sure, the ideas are endless of what you can do with this idea - the knob or handle sounds fun :)