How to Create This Cute Country Cottage Patchwork Chair With Fabric

$4

I wanted to breath some new life into a tired looking dining chair and thought to try fabric patchwork on it after being inspired by the colours and textures decoupage brings to pieces.

Decoupage chair preparation

The thin cotton fabric squares I am using to cover the chair are 4 inches x 4 inches, although any size smaller would also work fine.

I use Mod Podge Hard Coat sealer and adhesive. I really like these Sponge applicators with a angled shaped tip as they make it easy to apply and smooth creases.

Glue and seal fabric fabric with Mod Podge

I apply Mod Podge directly to the seat of the chair and then place the fabric squares on top of the adhesive . Remember to smooth out any wrinkles at this stage as once dry they cant be removed.

Apply more fabric with slight overlap

I chose a mix of colours and patterns to create a balance. It was necessary to seal around the edge and underneathcut pieces to fit the edges and around the spindles at back curling the fabric over the edge to the underneath and applying plenty of Mod podge to seal firmly.

Seal around edge and underneath

I chose for the back rest an assortment of colours and patterns to compliment the seat and its so lovely to explore the endless colour and pattern combinations!

Covering the back of the chair

Place fabric to best fit around the back of the chair and around the spindles is best to trim the fabric.

Trim fabric around spindles
how to create Country Cottage decoupage chair

Delighted with result!

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Olivia McCullough

Love this. I see adhesive mentioned but not listed in what I need. What adhesive did you use?

• GMS

would it work if you have a chair with some type of Poly coating on it, do you think the chair would have to be sanded down first?

• Rory McBean

I believe sanding is always a first step for a lot of projects that are going to be painted, laminated, etc. It helps whatever product you're using adhere better. In this case, sanding is not needed because Mod Podge hard coat is being used on fabric.

• Sharon Tamburello

I love this. What is the color that the chair was painted before you decoupaged?

• Susan Goode

I think It’s a eggshell blue but I see it as a turquoise colour so greeny too. I didn’t paint them but I love the colour

• Chris

I'm definitely going to try this on some stools that I was about to chuck out! Thank you for your inspiration. Chris

• Kathie Osborne

I did this with pictures cut out of my Birds and Bloom magazines. Love the result.