DIY Torched Scrap Wood Tray

$15

This small scrap wood tray works great for displaying small plants or candles. It only takes a few materials, uses an alternative way to add color to the wood, and is fun to make!

You will need some two pieces of 1 x 4" wood cut to a length of 7".

You will also need four pieces of 1 x 2" wood cut to a length of 8.5".

Set the degrees on your miter saw to 45 when you make the cuts on your 1 x 2" pieces. This will be the outer edge/frame of your tray.

Your 1 x 2 " pieces should look like the following:

Once all of your cuts are made, use a propane torch to lightly char each side of each piece of the wood until it turns black. Make sure you aren't completely lighting your wood on fire or letting it burn for too long.

Once all your pieces are torched, take your wire brush and brush off the torched black part of the wood.

You should be left with each piece looking something like this:

Next, take your favorite finish and apply it to your wood and let it dry. I am using boiled linseed oil for my project.

Once dry, align your pieces and using a nail gun to attach the pieces.

You now have a torched scrap wood tray!

To see more: http://www.instagram.com/wymerkd

• Paula

I like the look of the burned wood. Is it absolutely necessary to scrape it?

• Kyle

No, but it would be very messy to touch if you don't.

• Robyn Garner

Just curious why you didn't tell everyone the actual name of your process? It's called Shou Sugi Ban. Was developed in Japan originally on cedar wood to make it weather/waterproof. 😎

• Michele

Quite possibly Kyle wanted this to be more about a fun project than a history lesson? I'm actually going to try this with all the scrap wood left over from building our barn.

Pyrography or pyrogravure is the art of decorating wood or other materials with burn marks ... The process has been practiced by a number of cultures including the Egyptians and some African tribes since the dawn of recorded history

• Tanya Glashauser

• Sharon Emery

I used to do wood burning when I was younger and I would love to try my hand at it again.

• Zoa miller

Me too I still have all my wood burning equipment. I saw a new set up on FB not long ago with brand new tip that U had never seen before if I see it again U might just buy them, it was only $29.99.