Asked on Feb 1, 2019

How do I make a cleaner for silver/stainless flatware?

Swan Road DesignsV SmithCasualHomeStyle
+10

I know is women take on coming up with cleaners from only wat we have at home. I need a silver/stainless flat ware cleaner. 🙏 🌺💐🌺

• Sam
    Sam

Try polishing with toothpaste and a soft cloth - even the kids can help with that one!

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I tried the "ketchup" which removed about 1/2 the tarnish on a set that I inherited. I also tried baking soda with virtually no results. Please post if the toothpaste works.

• Vivi
      Vivi

I used toothpaste with a tooth brush for several pieces of jewelry and it works! For stubborn stains, leave for a while then wash it off!

• Squirllysue
    Squirllysue

I would try tooth paste.

• Hi Lisa - This is the most effective and all-natural silver cleaning and polishing method that we use. It's also been featured by Hometalk. Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/silver-utensils/

PS - I'm getting ready to release a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. If you want to know when it's released, you can get it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank/

• Dottie Mooney
    Dottie Mooney

Just use Barkeeps Friend....buy it in the grocery store or Home Depot.

• Jankee
    Jankee

Put tin foil in the bottom of a plastic, ceramic, or glass container. Put the tarnished items in the container and allow them to touch. Add enough boiling water to cover, then add baking soda. I don’t measure, but if I had to estimate, the proportions would be 4 cups of water and one-quarter cup baking soda. Let the items soak until the water is lukewarm. Then wash as usual. It may require a few treatments if the tarnish is severe. I’ve used this for everything from jewelry to huge platters and it removes tarnish from intricate patterns too.

• Suzanne Stenson O'Brien
    Suzanne Stenson O'Brien

Not sure if it works on silver but soaking fully covered by tomato sauce works in copper

• Lisa L Smith
    Lisa L Smith

Sam is right. Toothpaste works great. Not the gel type. A regular paste. Get some at the dollar store to try it out.

• JudyK83
    JudyK83

Please....I suggest not using toothpaste. It has a grit in it and it scratches silver and jewelry. (At one time I worked in jewelry sales and was trained as this is a big no-no).

• CasualHomeStyle
    CasualHomeStyle

Comet! It is the best kept secret EVER! Try it. Pour some in the sink, dip your wet piece of cotton towel in the powder and rub your silver, rinse and buff dry, waaaa....laaaaa!

It does not scratch the silver, either

• V Smith
    V Smith

If you value your silver plated items you should use silver paste to clean them. The seemingly easy home made fix can scratch and remove the thin layer of silver. Silver polish also does a very nice job on dirty plastics. Two for one.

• Swan Road Designs
    Swan Road Designs

I have a wonderful friend who owed, now retired, a top-end jewelry store, and he gave me the best advice I've ever gotten when it came to polishing anything silver....Maas Metal Polish. It may seem to be a bit costly but it is MORE than worth it. I'm never without it because I have tons and tons of silver pieces. Check it out https://www.amazon.com/Maas-91404-Metal-Polish-1-1lb/dp/B01M067Z27/ref=asc_df_B01M067Z27/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520383418615&psc=1. I also use anti-tarnish strips to keep my silver pieces cared for. Check these out :https://www.amazon.com/3M-Anti-tarnish-Tabs-Strips-Inch/dp/B00AWZEOSW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1549415345&sr=8-8&keywords=silver+strips