On Designing a Boys Room - Our "Train" of Thought

This is a story of planes, trains and automobiles...ok, trains, planes and MORE trains. Our 7-year-old is not into sports. No superheroes here. He is into vehicles, and especially trains. BIG TIME. So, when we moved into our house out here in the country, we knew that trains had to join us.
Here how the room looked when we bought the house:
May have been great for a teenage girl, but was not our 7-year-old boy's cup of apple juice. So, here at The Heathered Nest, we hatched a plan-and it started with this:
A custom wall mural from Etsy, with a sepia vintage steam locomotive! It went up like a giant sticker. Kind of like wallpaper without the mess of wallpaper adhesive. It is a typical vinyl wall decal, just much LARGER than most.
And when all was said and done, our little dude had his train room...We painted the walls with a faux "linen" technique. Close up, it looks like wallpaper. We added a bunch of neutral/brown textures and patterns with linens, like the wool herringbone curtains and cornice board, the houndstooth rug, and pillows with argyle and a Burberry-esque plaid.
Lots of shelving room for all our train books!! These were sold at PBKids, once upon a time.
And a little monogrammed burlap pillow in a comfy faux leather chair rounds out the space for our little train aficionado.
WANNA SEE MORE OF THIS LITTLE MAN'S SPACE? Head over HERE >>>
All in all, that's now our little conductor's space. No longer "Plain Jane", now we're all "Plane Train" up in here...and he loves it.

Heathered Nest

• I LOVE this room, Heather! Where did you get the rug?

• Heathered Nest

@Katie - On the Banks of Squaw Creek Aww, thanks @Katie - On the Banks of Squaw Creek ...I actually have two rugs like this in my place...one that is yellow in our dining room and this one. I have a source list on the blog post!

• Jill F

I love this so much! What a dream room - and that blanket - that just makes it!