Garden Mosaics From Recycled Materials

My daughter and I have had lots of fun this summer creating mosaics for the garden as well as some fun coasters to use as gifts.
Mosaic Bottle Makeovers
These bottles went from the recycling bin to great garden accents with some time and creativity. We learned that almost anything can be used for mosaics.
I started with glass bottles like these. I washed them and removed metal rings from the tops but did not even remove labels.
Next I used tile adhesive to attach pebbles or marbles or tile pieces.
Our grouting and cleaning "station" in the yard included all the essentials including grout, sponges, water and a cushion.
Mini Gazing Ball with Seashells
We grouted and added seashells, marbles, tiles, buttons, recycled materials, pebbles and more to many different surfaces.
My daughter's specialty was coasters.
Here the coasters are before the grout...
Here are many of her coasters after the grouting. She is very creative.
We even did eggs for the garden as well. Basically, if I saw it in the studio during the week, it got covered in something....Except family members and pets... Be sure to check out our posts for many tips and tricks we learned through our mosaic-ing journey.

Brooke Bock

• Teresa Davis

What did you use for the balls of the gazing balls
  • Jacqueline

I love doing crafts, have been told i need to go to " craft rehab!" Lol. My ? Is I've never seen any square jewels like that, their awesome! Maybe Michaels? Pls Advise?

• Susan

I. Found mine on Amazon. Really pretty little glass tiles. Lots of different ones for different uses.

• Susan

I love that idea. How thick do you have to make a stepping stone so that they are durable? But not so thin they crack.

• Sha27528013

I have made Many mosaiced bricks to edge my garden & also some stepping stones. I'd like to add a suggestion that will eliminate LOTS OF TIME and work! I bought a small bag of "Quickcrete" concrete at a big box hardware store. ( It's a fast setting concrete) Now get this..... I just mixed up a small plastic bowl of the concrete as directed on the pkg. I used a spoon and just "plopped" down a bit of the mixture and spread it with a plastic knife! ( really I used my finger, but you're not supposed to have your hands in contact with the concrete. I just had another bowl of clean water to wash my hands off) Then I just Pushed my things Into the concrete, Totally ELIMINATING the need to GROUT!!! I just sat them aside to dry and they've been in my garden for eight years now! This year I am losing some of the tiles, marbles, etc. due to the weather. I didn't seal them tho. (Too much work!) maybe I'll post a tutorial and show everyone how easy it is!
  • Linda Lail

ABSOLUTELY I WOULD DO THIS WITH MY GRANDDAUGHTER