Modern Coffee Table From Pallet Wood Base

$60

I wanted to create an inexpensive, sturdy, and modern shape coffee table for our living room! You might remember my ....

Well, I sold that to make way for a more neutral color scheme in our new house. I'm really trying to focus on creating a modern aesthetic with a bit of industrial built in. I thought a birch coffee table with large casters in a simple shape would fit the bill.

I started by stacking two pallets on top of each other, screwing them down. This would form the base of my coffee table so the structure would be sturdy for folks to sit on.

I did modify the pallets to be slightly smaller to fit to scale with our couch. I added large casters and raised them a few inches by adding 2 x 4 blocks to mount them. This ensured my coffee table was the correct height (18 inches).

Once my pallet base was all constructed and sized correctly, I went to Home Depot and bought 1/4" thick birch plywood. I brought my measurements along and the store cut it to size for me! I used wood glue and my brad nailer to secure these pieces of birch plywood to all the sides and the top of the pallet base.

When building was complete, I finished the piece with linseed oil to retain the natural wood look. I also painted the 2 x 4 blocks of wood that the casters were mounted onto black.

I love my new modern coffee table and neutral color scheme we have going on in our new home! To see more of my new home adventures, including our , visit my blog!

Welcome to the Woods

• Reflector

Amazing what you were able to do. Looks great. Also love the painting behind your couch. Did you do it yourself?

• Reflector

Also, do you have a website that shows your paintings and how you go about it, and are they for sale. Was the one I asked about using oils or acrylics? Thanks!

• Nancy Cavanaugh

Are you happy with the linseed oil finish now that you’ve used it? Is it sufficient protection? The look is lovely but I wonder about water, food or just general use leaving marks.

• Joe Jones

If you don’t like the smell there is a sunflower oil stain just like linseed that has no smell and it’s all natural.

• Sandra Giove

Absolutely beautiful I really need a couch could you do one so I no how.

• Barbars

Very nice, you have talent that’s for sure.

• Charlene

Amazing, I would never guess that was made from pallet wood. Great job!