Make Pallet Wood Crates & Transfer On An Image With Wax Paper

$2

Who does not LOVE vintage farm and orchard crates? However, they can be quite hard to find, and may not be the right size for your space!
In this super easy tutorial, you will see how to "have our gorgeous crates and for free too"! =)
First we made some simple crates from discarded pallets, then we took out some wax paper, and magic happened ...
It is such an easy and fun way to personalize your wood creations! Let's begin!
First, tape one end of the wax paper onto a piece of regular 8.5x11 paper, this will be the end that first go through the printer. Leave the rest of the paper loose. Print your image so the ink goes on the wax paper. Be very careful not to touch the printed surface.
Next use a piece of damp rag and wipe the wood so the surface becomes absorbent. Don't make it too wet, or the ink will get runny!
Cut and lay a piece of the design onto the wood surface, once it's on there, do not move it anymore, hold it down and use the soft pad to rub the wax paper like you would make a print, and you will be delighted to see how beautifully the image got transferred onto the wood! Repeat this step and keep layering images until you are happy with the result.
These crates are finished with a delicious home-made furniture wax which made the color of the wood and images become so much richer!
Check out the link below get the recipe or see some behind-the-scene failures and more details, so you can get a great result!

Multi-Use Scrunge Scrub Sponge, Non-scratch Scouring Pads, Dish...

APieceofRainbow

• Dee Lynch

Your homemade furniture wax.... What is your recipe? I would lover to try this before I retire..... GRrrreat Idea!! Looks Fab!!

• Esther

It's on page 3 of her blog post (click on the link above).
  • Kuinmeri

Where did you find the graphics?
  • Web

Do you know if this technique will work on any type of wood, not just pallets?

• Jeannie.mcquaid

It would work on any type of raw, unsealed wood. Wood that has been previously painted, varnished or treated with waterproofing would not absorb the colour.

• Web

Thank you so much for your quick reply. This definitely opens up a whole new world of possibilities!! The brain gears are now in full thoughts and visions of what I can do with this idea.

• Teresa

Where do you people find pallets that don’t look like crap?

• Dody Sebald Myers

I wonder the same thing....

• Hunt behind every strip mall where they have their dumpsters, you do need to be selective. You can always sand down a bit too. This site will provide great ideas where to look.

https://www.1001pallets.com/

In my area, the stores charge for pallets as they are such a hot commodity.

• Teresa

In Canada, they are re-used. They charge $20 to the business for them and they get their deposit back when they are returned, they are only "abandoned" once they become horrible - or 20 uses. But I think many of the posts I see on Hometalk don't use pallets, just say they do.

• Ginny Ivanoff

I didn't know that about pallets in Canada. I think you can use scrap wood to make these boxes. Most of the pallets I come across aren't so nice, and then there are the holes after you take out the nails from the original structure.

• Loye Eschenburg

Check out Craigslist. There are always companies/people offering pallets for free.

• Loye Eschenburg

• Carolina

I love these!! but... I don't understand how did you get the images on the wax paper? did you use an ink printer? and "mirrored" the image?

• Kat5821506

Yes

• Jennifer

This is what she says, "First, tape one end of the wax paper onto a piece of regular 8.5x11 paper, this will be the end that first go through the printer. Leave the rest of the paper loose. Print your image so the ink goes on the wax paper. Be very careful not to touch the printed surface."

• Jennifer

• Carolina

Oh! got it. I will def. try it. thanks!!!

• Starr Wilson

Won't this hurt your printer when you use wax paper?

• Robyn Garner

No. Printers are generally "ink jet" which means the ink is sprayed onto the printing surface. The printer doesn't really know if the surface is paper, waxed paper, etc. It only knows (sometimes) the thickness of the printing surface. The only issue you may have is a small paper jam if you need to set your printer to a different thickness (ie: "envelope" rather than "plain paper")

On point she didn't make is that you put the INK SIDE DOWN on the wood! Otherwise, the image won't transfer.

• Siders50

Where do you get the recipe for the wax?can`t find it on the page. DIA

• T

If you transfer it ink side down, but you don't mirror the image prior to printing, it will come out backwards. The words won't read properly. I would think you would need to mirror the image prior to printing, right?