Farmhouse Style Coffee Table Makeover

$30

It's good for your pocketbook and a good way to be a responsible consumer, to give solid, working furniture a transformation, rather than shop for something brand new.

I found this ugly coffee table for less than $20 at a local thrift shop. The table was so sturdy, and the drawers were working great, so I snatched it and decided to give it a farmhouse style makeover.

Check out my blog for in depth

farmhouse style coffee table makeover

This coffee table looked like it was abandoned mid-makeover. It was sanded bare, and had a chalk painted table top.

farmhouse style coffee table makeover

Someones little DIY'er in training had left their mark as well. To cover over the oily ink stains, I use a stain blocking spray paint. This keeps the ink from bleeding through my white paint.

farmhouse style coffee table makeover

Before painting, I removed the original table top. I replaced it with reclaimed lumber on this table, but saved it for later as it was solid wood.

Once my stain blocking primer had dried, I gave the whole base two coats of white paint.

farmhouse style coffee table makeover

I used the dimensions of the original table top, as a guide for cutting out my reclaimed lumber. For the new top, I used a mix of 1x6 and 1x4 boards.

To get the drawer guides transferred to the new table top, I laid the old and new tops out next to each other. I made sure to measure for placement before removing the guides from the original top, but laying them out worked as a visual guide as well.

farmhouse style coffee table makeover

After attaching the new table top, I sanded it smooth and stained it with a weathered wood grey stain.

Once the stain has fully dried, I applied a coat of sealer. Sealer will help protect the coffee table from stains, such as water marks, and makes it easier to clean.

farmhouse style coffee table makeover

With a new coat of paint, new knobs, and a reclaimed wood top, this table is really rocking the farmhouse style.

Heather Cammack

• Diana Cervantes

I can’t get to your blog. What am I doing wrong??

• Heather Cammack
      30 minutes ago

Sorry you're having trouble! The URL is www.myhappysimpleliving.com

I'd love to have you stop by, hope that helps!

• Lisa West

Don't you just love when yet recycle a piece of furniture in it looks high end? I love home talk and watching everybody just making things better At a low cost. You did a wonderful job. And I love your low comment about the little person training as a new DIY or I thought that was just so cute. You did a great job just a great wonderful job and your coffee table is just absolutely Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

• Heather Cammack
      28 minutes ago

Wow thank you so much! I absolutely love flipping furniture, and the more you do it, the better your stuff starts to look. I haven't bought a new piece of furniture in years.

• Anam

I have a table but it’s centered glass table and my daughter use to sit over the table, that’s dangerous for her, what should I do with my table, also it has some cup stains

• Heather Cammack
      21 minutes ago

Hey, I've got four kids and as far as we are concerned, the coffee table is for dancing. I would be concerned with glass around kids too, because kids are kids.

I would suggest using the glass piece as a template to make a wood insert, or you could go right over the wooden top with a planked look. If you don't have saws, you can take your dimensions to the hardware store with you and they can make the cuts for you.

As for the water marks, you could sand those down a bit and restain. Especially if you end up putting a wood insert in, you'll probably end up painting or staining the wood to match.

Good luck!