Custom Wooden Shoe & Handbag Storage

$50

I have a lot of shoes that were previously in a pile on my closet floor. I tried to organize them, but they never stayed neat. I saw some shoe organizers online, but knew that it would be cheaper to build my own shoe rack. Also, I made a shelf to hold small clutch purses, too!

Cut a 10′ long 1×10″ board in half to make two 5′ long pieces.

Then, he used another 1×10 to cut six boards that were 17 1/2 inches long. The 17 1/2 plus the 3/4 inch that the two side boards are wide made up 19 inches for the exact length of the wall.

After staining, he screwed each small board in between the two long boards at an angle that put them still going from front to back and spaced them evenly across the 5 foot boards.

I added a clear bin on top to hold my small cross body bags and clutch purses. I got these clear bins on Amazon.

I love how my shoe shelf turned out! I love how the shoes are at a slight angle so you can see them better - almost like a display! Hop over to my blog to see the full closet makeover!

• 1x10"x10' board
  • Stain
  • Screws

Morgan McBride

• Denise Cox

Great idea! I moved into a small apt. last July and have been pondering how I wanted to store my shoes in my smaller sized walk-in closet. I must get my brother to help me make one this Spring. Did you attach a support onto the back to prevent it from tilting forward?? Or do you not need this?

Thank - you so very much for sharing your idea!!! 🙂👍💡

• Ticia

It's a good idea and I'm wondering for those who may have many more shoes if it could be mounted on the wall and off the ground so underneath could be cleaned easily. I hate stuff on the floor.

• WandaJennings

It could be mounted. Make sure to mount it into studs or use wall anchors. For those with many more shoes this could even be made double width.

• Nickie Thomas Fain

What were the dow rods used for? They’re listed in the materials, but nothing in the instructions on what they were used for.