Stephanie Abbott
Stephanie Abbott
  • Richmond, TX

Easy $50 Round Top Side Table

$50

I love pedestal tables. But the designs for some of them can get pretty complicated. I wanted this table to be pretty and easy enough to build with just Miter Saw cuts. The best part is the material costs. You can build 2 of these for less than $100. I hope you love it as much as I do! You can find the exact dimensions, printable build plans and full tutorial here.

easy 50 round top side table

After cutting my pieces on the Miter Saw, I was ready to assemble with wood glue, brad nailer, and Kreg Jig.

easy 50 round top side table

You'll build 2 matching X-shaped bases for the top and bottom of the table, using 1"x3" dimensional lumber. Glue and nail 2 boards together and cut 45-degree angles at each end. These will be 16" long.

easy 50 round top side table

Finish the X's with 2 boards glued and nailed together with a 45 on one end only.

Then add a third level of 1x3 over those with straight edged ends.

easy 50 round top side table

One of the X's will also get 4 feet. The feet have a straight edge on the outside and a 45-degree angle on the inside.

easy 50 round top side table

Glue and nail 3 - 1" x 3" board together to create the post for the table. I attached the post to the top and bottom X-bases with glue and pocket holes.

easy 50 round top side table

Next, you'll add the 4 - 2x2 pieces around the bottom X-base and decorative 1/2" x 3/4" moulding. 8 pieces of cove moulding were added on the top level of each side of the X-bases (shown in photo below).

Use wood filler on all nail holes and gaps. Let dry, then sand smooth. I always sand down hard corners and edges for a softer, more finished look.

easy 50 round top side table

I finished this table with a rustic weathered paint look. The entire base was painted in a cream color. Then I dry brushed a light greyish brown over that with a Chip Brush. I distressed all of the paint off the edges. Then sealed the table with 2 coats of Matte Polycrylic.

easy 50 round top side table

One of the lizards snuck into our house to check out the table. :)

Here's a 1-minute look at how I distressed and finished the store bought round top.

easy 50 round top side table

That's it. I love these little side tables and that I could build 2 for less than $100. Grab the build plans and see more photos on my site.

• Kreg Jig  (Amazon)
  • Brad Nailer  (Amazon)
  • Dewalt Miter Saw  (Amazon)
Stephanie Abbott