How to Oil and Clean Your Sewing Machine

$5

It's important to keep your sewing machine in good condition. A regular service is a great option, but it is also to a good idea to give your sewing machine a clean out at home every now and then. It can also save you a bit of money too!

how to oil and clean your sewing machine

The first thing you would need to do is remove the needle plate from your sewing machine. I have included a photo of a machine with a top loading bobbin. Your machine will look a bit different if it is a front loading bobbin.

You'll need to remove the bobbin case next. Grab your small paint brush and use it to brush out all the built up lint and fluff. If you sew with linty fabric, like minky or fleece, you may have quite a bit built up inside!

If needed, add a couple of drops of sewing machine oil to the hook race. Please note: some machine do not need to be oiled, especially newer ones. Please check you sewing machine manual or talk to a sewing machine technician if you are unsure.

There may be a few other bits to clean out, but you are pretty much finished at this point. All you would have to do is reassemble the bobbin case and the needle plate!

You can check out my post for full video instructions on my website!

Domenica | Easy Sewing for Beginners

• Lisa Neri

I was told by my sewing machine assistance people that electronic machines cannot be oiled at home because they have to be opened up completely to avoid messing up the electronic parts. I wish I could just do it myself on mine like you show here!