Chunky Coffee Table

$100

A friend sent me a picture of a coffee table from a REALLY expensive furniture company. It was about $2,000 so he wondered if I could make it cheaper😂 Of course I could! Here’s what I did for $100.

I went to a lumber mill and instead of 6x6s (like the furniture company used) I opted for 8x8s to make more of a statement...and about 300lbs😂

I then cut each one to length and dry fit them to see which configuration fit together the best. Once I had them in order, I numbered them.

I glued them together like a cutting board and kept the clamps on for two days. For most of the time, it was sitting on level ground. I had it verticle in this picture so my garage would close 🙈🙌🏼

I did a bit of sanding, added a watered down gray stain and sanded a bit more. For the base, I just used off-cuts and painted them black. Nice and easy🔨🔨 The finished table is gorgeous, and my friend is quite happy with it! Hope you like it!

• Johnny Izzy

Was the base glued to the top as well? Or did you use some sort of brackets for it. Seems that by the weight of it you would not need anything.

• Gail

I actually really love it. I am not a lover of Rustic but this is almost more modern than rustic. Or a cross between the two. I would want the top smooth and sealed but with a matte or soft finish. My aversion to the rustic is the fact that the rough wood is sooooo hard to clean. Have you ever tried to dust a rough cedar finish? Not happening.

• BT

What is the base made of?

• Jane Barnes Daley

My ex-husband and I made one with 2x4’s approximately 38 years ago. We made legs out of crossed 2x4’s at either end and a thick dowel running through the center of the crossed legs. Still solid and heavy enough! We sealed it with a glossy finish but still is have problems keeping the crack clean.

• Cassie

I love this coffee table, I bet its so very heavy, you dont have to worry about it ever getting flipped over or getting broken. This table will last forever, its not like the cheaply made coffee tables of now days. I really love this big chunky table, its a beauty and its definitely a solid piece. Thanks for sharing ❤😊👏👏👍👍