How do I know what size & type faucet to buy?


What type of faucet can I get to replace this old one? and what is under that cap? Do I need to find a faucet that has the same base dimensions?

q how do i know what size type faucet to buy
  10 answers
  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Feb 05, 2019

    it's an 8 inch spread faucet in the cap is a air gap for your dishwasher

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 05, 2019

    I have a similar set up in my kitchen. The area where the cap is on mine is a soap dispenser. Usually the holes are standard and the utility determines the size. You can double check measurement by checking the feed underneath the faucet.

  • Betty Albright-Bistrow Betty Albright-Bistrow on Feb 05, 2019

    Hi Sandra! This is a great question to ask. Take a look at the information provided. You can always ask someone at Home Depot or Lowe's for assistance too, perhaps taking your old fixtures in. Good luck to you....

  • William William on Feb 05, 2019

    Kitchen faucets have an 8" spread center to center on the pipes. Bathroom faucets have a 4" spread.

    • Sandra Bierscheid Sandra Bierscheid on Feb 06, 2019

      Is this true for all sinks? Our house is about 22 years old and these are builder grade stuff from back then.

  • Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Feb 06, 2019

    cap on mine is for sprayer

  • The cap can also be used to install a soap pump or hot water dispenser.

  • Debi53 Debi53 on Feb 06, 2019

    Since this is a kitchen faucet, do yourself the favor of getting a high neck faucet with a pull-out sprayer attached. These make doing dishes so much easier. They cost a little more, but if you spend a lot of time in the kitchen, it will change your life! Also, put a soap dispenser in the other slot. They are super cheap ($10-$20) and keep your detergent right at your fingertips. The long bar at the base of your faucet is just a cover plate. It might cover old holes that were there (you can put this type of cover with almost any faucet) or it could just be 'decorative'.

  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Feb 06, 2019

    The best thing to do is take the faucet off (be sure to turn the water supply off) and take it to a plumbing supply store. Not all home depot and lowes employees know what they are talking about, so do your own research. Also, even though it looks the same and is called the same name, the quality of the faucets isn't the same at those stores as in a plumbing supply store. I've never bought a faucet from a big box store (and I've done a lot of kitchens and bathrooms). The insides are made cheap for the big box stores (plastic insides instead of ceramic or brass) and they don't last as long. You can go online and find a faucet at a reasonable price and get the quality you want. I would suggest that you get a kitchen faucet that has a higher neck than what you have. For the extra spot, you could have a separate sprayer put in there (it can come with the faucet). The soap dispensers can be a pain in the neck to fill, so before you get that, again, do your research.

  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on Feb 06, 2019

    To answer your first question - get the best faucet you can afford. Because you have a double sink, something with a very high neck and attached sprayer will be well worth the money. I don't use the side plug on my sink because it is simply too hard to get to for a soap dispenser and sprayer hoses can get tangled on things back there. The dimensions on almost every faucet are cosmetic. But make sure that what you buy will fit on your present sink surface without anything bumping up to or hanging over the base. Enjoy your learning experience and new faucet!

  • William William on Feb 06, 2019

    Yes, it's a standard for all faucets. Kitchen is a 8" spread while baths are 4" spread.

Your comment...