How to Turn a Coffee Can Into a Planter

$5

Don't just recycle that metal coffee can, reuse it and turn it into something pretty for your home.

Learn how to upcycle a basic coffee can into a lovely and functional planter.

how to turn a coffee can into a planter

Start with a clean coffee can and lid. I used patterned shelf liner and some leftover wood knobs to create this planter.

how to turn a coffee can into a planter

I punched a few holes in the bottom of the can for proper drainage.

how to turn a coffee can into a planter

To dress up the wood knobs, which were leftover from an Ikea dresser that got an upgrade, I spray painted them bronze. Then I hot glued them to the base of the can. You can use a stronger glue but I found that this works just fine and holds up well for a medium sized house plant. Be sure to space them evenly so your planter is sturdy.

how to turn a coffee can into a planter

Finally, I cut some adhesive shelf liner and wrapped it around the can. The black and white paper looks so good with bright pink flowers.

Tip: Save the lid! When I water this plant I stick the lid underneath the planter to catch any water that drains out. You can leave the lid there or stash it away until you water again.

Sarah Vanderkooy

• Starkeeper

You can skip the holes in the bottom and use this as a kitchen

( or ANY room ) CatchAll. Save the lid and paint it, use a strong glue and put a small kniob on it . Use the clever feet as described ( I’d use 4 ) so it wouldn’t tip over. . Just an idea I’m gonna try, inspired by the planter idea.... THX

• Pat Campbell

Love it....thanks for sharing!