DIY Fairy House Lamp Using Jar

$5

Hello ! In this tutorial I show you how I made a medium sized fairy log house using a coffee jar, aluminium foil, hot glue, paper clay and acrylic paint. It’s fun to make and you can use it as a decoration, secret hiding spot, or you can even turn it into a lamp by adding some battery operated LED candle lights

diy fairy house lamp using jar

First, I cover the jar with paper clay (I used "Das modelling material" but you can any paper clay or even a homemade paper clay). I don't use natural air dry clay, it will shrink and that will result in a lot of cracks around your jar.

diy fairy house lamp using jar

Secondly, I cut the carton to two circular shapes (or three depending on the desired thickness) and I glue them using hot glue. Afterwards, I cover it with clay.

diy fairy house lamp using jar

And still using paper clay, I added mushrooms and other plants. Also, I add an ax and trunk of a broken tree. With the same way, you can easily add more details using paper clay.

diy fairy house lamp using jar

I used aluminum foil and glue with the lid of jar to build the basic shape of the roof. I covered them with paper clay while adding a roof window. After, I covered everything by posing above already prepared autumn leaves.

diy fairy house lamp using jar

I used acrylic paint for painting. You can also use watercolors and watercolor crayons. It's up to you. In the end you can seal the paint using some matte spray varnish. I placed some battery LED lights under the house. I recommend you use soft lights that will gently illuminate your windows so it looks like a real house.

diy fairy house lamp using jar

You can see all the details in Tutorial Video in my Youtube Channel. "Creative D2H"

To see more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYC5_mPk7jsx0ZhKfDTXiSg

• Kelly-n-Tony

amazing! i'd love to see a bit more detail on the process of making the doors, etc

• Kara

I would also like to see the other details.

• Nita

If making for outside fairy garden, what would you use to protect from weather?

• Kathy

Spray polyurethane on it I have made a bunch of these and have as gifts

• Joe Jones

Be honest how artistic are you naturally? I hate to be negative but if most of us could make something this artistic we wouldn’t even need a site like home talk. This takes some skill. If it doesn’t come precut and glue together I’ll ruin it. So is it really do-able

• Lyn

I have the same thoughts, Joe. Ive noticed that these wonderful artists have ALL the tools for crafting and a space in which they do their magic!! I, on the other hand, want to do one project and it is frustrating because I do not have the necessary tools. I think that the folks on Hometalk do projects all the time and have for many years!!! Oh, and have imagination and talent. But I love looking at their tutorials and finished product s!! Thanks all!!!!

• Darletta McCollum

I love this I’m thinking of a bank for my granddaughter she’s 7 and I think it would look great on her dresser . Thank you for the idea keep sharing your a true inspiration

• Kristine Brady

I'm not into battery operated lights. I love this project other than that. I'd want to figure a way to do a night light plugin, but that may be too bright.