Abc
Abc
  • New York, NY
Asked on Jun 20, 2012

Roku, Boxee or Apple TV

Bernice HKMS WoodworksAbc
+2

Looking to setup an entertainment center in my new apartment and considering switching away from cable tv. Any suggestions when considering between a Roku, Boxee or Apple TV?
  • 3po3

I have never heard of Boxee, but I have friends who love their Roku and Apple TV. Basically, I would go with Roku unless you are a diehard Apple user because the Apple TV will interface nicely with all your other devices. Here is a detailed review: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57320715-221/apple-tv-vs-roku-lt-which-streaming-box-should-you-buy/

• Bernice H

I have a Roku box, we also have cable, how would you get away from cable, because I would like to know also.We use Netflix but have to pay monthly, I did not like Hulu....I hope there are more comments about this.

• Abc

i think the idea would be to use something like Boxee Live TV (http://www.boxee.tv/live) or to just download the shows i want to see on itunes and watch the rest on netflix.

• KMS Woodworks

We ditched our satellite service about 18 months ago. We now have 2 roku boxes in the house. One in the kids rooms and one in the master bedroom. We are not big watchers of TV and would only watch 2 -3 hours a week. The netflix stream is great, and we also got hulu plus so the mrs can watch desperate housewives...The only show we watch that is not on hulu or netflix is survivor which we watch on the laptop... The biggest thing that turned us off from regular TV is the endless stream of commercials...That is the one thing about netflix that I love. Hulu and the stream from CBS still have those but they are fewer. you will need a pretty fast internet connection to watch more that one stream at a time ( if you have multiple users) we have a 3 mbps DSL and it bogs down bit when a second stream is on. I picked up a Nook Tablet back in march and have been watching my netflix on that more than the TV. getting rid of the Satellite saved us about $60 a month.

• Bernice H

Hey Kevin, sounds like you watch pretty much the same things mostly we do. Survivor, used to be desp hwvs.., but we have netflix streaming and mail, many movies we want to watch are not on streaming. So we have to order. Hubs like up to date movies, things he has heard of,I like to try foreign movies, character movies etc.