Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

Re-furbished Vases for Valentines Day Bouquets

$4

Valentines day is sneaking up around the corner and whether you think “cupid is stupid” or just want to squeeze in a girls night Galentine or date night with your sweetie- flowers are usually a must! But- not gonna lie, the flowers will be glorious for all of a week or so- but what’s left after those flowers shrivel up and die?? The VASE! Why not make your own Valentines vase that your sweetie will cherish

re furbished vases for valentines day bouquets

Time to take these boring vases up a notch with some simple ideas and materials you have laying around the house!

The first make-over is going to be an ombre yarn wrapped vase! Simply grab three shades of the yarn and tie your first color around the base of the vase. Then begin to wrap the yarn around the vase, even covering the tied off yarn.

Onto the next color! Simply tie off again and wrap…wrap….wrap!

I used the yarn to overlap each color a bit on my ombre vase. I used a small drop of glue to tuck in the final string of the yarn. For my other vase I was loving the green on the bottle so I decided not to wrap the entire bottle and play with some see through portions.

Loving all that fun fuzzy texture!

Now for a different look that is a bit more playful and very “Valentines” flair.

Grab a large bowl and fill with water about 3/4 full and drop about a tablespoon or so of three different nail polish colors. I scored these nail polishes at the dollar store!

Grab a skewer to give the colors a bit of a swirl….

Time to dunk your vase, lower the vase directly down and then upwards to grab all that gorgeous marbled paint!

Let dry for about 30 mins before using….

Gotta love the marbled colors!

I let my vase dry upside down which made the paint “drip” a bit…if you like that look- go for it! Otherwise I suggest keeping the vase upright to avoid the drips and keep more of the true marbled look.

Happy Valentines Loves!xoSam

Zest it Up

• Wendy Grubbs

Does this technique work on material other than glass?

• 39forever

Does the temperature of the water make a difference? I've tried this with rocks. You are right, practice is key. Also how quickly you do the stir/swirl and then dip the faster the better I found at least with rocks. Just not sure if water temp makes a difference.

• Linda

I'd do a mini test. Warm/hot water in small disposable vessel, add polish, swirl, dip something that doesn't matter. Repeat with cool/cold. (I remember running cold water over freshly polished nails that it seemed to set/cure the polish fairly quickly.)

• Brenda

Did you seal it with anything after to stop chipping

• It can be a really beautiful technique, but takes practise. It looks more like melted candle wax.

• Zest it Up

Yes, don't let it dry upside down like me and should't get that drip effect! haha :)

• Sue Weiker

I loved the effect letting it drip. I think I will give it a try. I'll practice first with some old jars. Thanks.