The Best Way to Use an Old Trampoline

$0

When my children's trampoline finally broke down I was left with a pile of metal and some very thick trampoline mat. When I was moving the trampoline mat it occurred to me that this thick black fabric could be used replace the fabric in my outdoor chaise lounge chairs. I intended to order expensive outdoor fabric for the chairs for some time, but what better way to kill two birds with one stone.

I took the old fabric out of the sling chaise lounge and used it as a pattern to cut the trampoline mat .

I was able to use my home sewing machine to sew the seams of the trampoline mat. I did use a good quality UV protected thread. This part is very important as regular polyester thread will not last outside.

I sewed and extra wide seam to that it would be strong and less likely to be affected by fraying. I also did a double seam about 1/4" apart from each other, just to be doubly sure it would hold.

After I sewed the side seams I slipped the old spline into the pocket created by the seam(like a rod pocket on a curtain panel). Then I slid the spline and trampoline mat back into the chaise lounge chair.

I used some oil paint by rustoleum to give my chaise loungers a fresh look and just like that, they're ready for another summer on my dock.

Mimzy lombardo

• Pearl

Pretty awesome! I have some that could be fixed!! They look great!! Ingenious and talented!!

• Michi

How long did it take you to do it? And I love your shoes

• Mimzy lombardo

Not long . I was able to sew the seams on the seat and back within about 15 minutes, then installing them was super quick also...maybe 15 minutes. The longest part was cleaning the mat and waiting for it to dry so I could cut and sew. I put off this project for a long time cuz I thought it would be difficult, but it was surprisingly easy.

• Lee Ann Quam

Mimzy,

You commented you remove the part from the chair to slide the trampoline cover over. How did you remove that? I've been trying to figure out how to remove mine to upgrade the material. Mine is also shot!

Thank you for any help.

Lee Ann