Damaged Table Goes Coastal.

$20

I was able to make a trip down to our vacation rental and most of time iI am making repairs and touching up paint and such. One of the projects was to address the wood table in the dining room that was damaged from guests and looking sad. I decided the way to handle all the heavy use it gets, was to give it a weathered distressed coastal look. I figured the multitudes of paint strokes would hide future

The dark wood shows a lot of the damage
The dark wood shows a lot of the damage

Some of the holes were worst then others. I was able to sand some of the smaller chips in the grooves. And since this is a newer table it was a veneer applied to partical board so I could only lightly sand with out going through veneer. I was going to be adding drywall mud to my white base color only so that it would adhere. I literally filled the big holes with drywall mud.

damaged table goes coastal

i let the drywall mud dry before applying my white base coat.

damaged table goes coastal

I left the base of table the dark tone, since they were in fairly good condition and I was mainly concerned with the top. I put two coats of my white base coat and let dry completely for 24 hours.

damaged table goes coastal

Even with two coats it still bleed through but I knew I was going to be applying a million strokes of paint so it wouldn’t show..

damaged table goes coastal

I purchased craft acrylic paint. I used ten different colors for dimension. Light and dark Grey, red, two different turquoise blues, browns, beige, black and a navy blue and white tons of white. I bought cheapo chip brushes that I think work best for layering.

damaged table goes coastal

I kept a spray bottle close so that when I needed to blend in colors with my chip brush for the weathered look. This is my first coat of colors.

damaged table goes coastal

Here you can see that once i got enough coats of different color on there I could spray with water and work color together with paint brush.

damaged table goes coastal

Once I got it going I would have to go back over with white and blue to keep bringing in my base colors and give it a layered look. This is literally the 20th time I had gone over it.

damaged table goes coastal

When I got the way I liked it I went back over with some black and brown to age it.

damaged table goes coastal

Once it was all dry I lightly sanded and then went over with two coats of poly urethane for durability. This is the completed picture and I think it will work perfectly to hide future damage and the chairs blend in better then the contrasting dark and light. It matches my coastal decor perfect. And got me going with my next post. Let me know your thoughts and thanx for looking.

• Hello ! This is a beautiful table you created ! my question is why you mixed drywall mud to your white base color ? was it kind of like making chalk paint which I do by adding plaster of paris mixed with water to paint ?

• Ruth
      Yesterday

Hi Stephanie, yes I use drywall mud too. I was at my vacation home so limited on suppplies and drywall mud is in the same material base at plaster of Paris.

• Linda Premo
    11 hours ago

It’s a great solution for your needs and looks good too! Thanks for sharing🤗

• Annette
    7 hours ago

Come spring I think I will try your idea on my dresser in guest room. Looks great with the colors blending so nicely. Thanks for sharing