Refreshing Cabinets With a Layers and Layers of Paint.

$10

i was able to change up some things at my vacation rental while there doing repairs. I originally had painted my cabinets a plain white in the kitchen to try and open it up to look bigger then the small galley kitchen it was. The cabinets doors were handmade out plywood so it spruced them up at the time. Being a vacation rental they were constantly getting gouged and stained from food and coffee. Every time

refreshing cabinets with a layers and layers of paint

It was a cute little kitchen but it really needed something. So I went to work. I lightly sanded everything and wiped it down good with dish soap to remove any grease and spills. After removing knobs I knew I would never be able to get cabinets doors plumbed to open and close correctly again so I decided to leave doors on for the painting technique. It was raining outside and if anybody knows the south I wouldn’t be able to get the paint to dry without the air conditioner of the house and also did not have space to lay them out inside the house.Any other time I would have removed doors instead of having to clean up hinges the whole time. Lesson learned.

I got out the acrylic paints I had purchased for dining table redo. I used ten different acrylic paint colors a light and dark grey, light and dark turquoise blues, a navy blue, beige, red, dark and browns and black and of course chalk white as base color. The more colors the more dimensions. I mixed drywall mud with my white base color to adhere to my already painted cabinets and let them dry for 24 hours.

The next day I started applying my different colors with a cheap chip brush. I like the chip brush because they create brush stroke easily. I also used a spray bottle of water to moisten colors while blending. This project literally took me days because I needed to let all coats dry. I found if I wasn’t patient when I was applying more paint it would wipe right off down to the base white. So patience was easy when I knew i could take a walk a couple of blocks and go to the beach 🏖

I kept going back over it with whites and blues during the whole process to give it the coastal weathered look.

This was literally the hundredth time I went back over it with colors ( I may be exaggerating a tiny bit!). It probably would have been fine 50 times ago but I kept thinking it needed more! Don’t make that mistake.

I had upgraded my cabinets knobs to look more coastal with twine, but that is another post!

It actually turned out better then I thought. I applied two coats of poly urethane for durability.

I thought it would close things in more but it actually gave the kitchen personality rather than plain white cabinets that had coffee drip stains down them.

This weathered look will hide a multitude of stains and works great with my coastal decor. They should be durable too. Hope my guests enjoy it as much as I did. Thank you and I hope you enjoy.

• Maureen
    16 hours ago

Very beachy looking. It will definitely hide stains from renters. I know very well what tenants can do to a beach house.. great idea!!

• Ruth
    30 minutes ago

Thank you, I agree