Asked on Feb 9, 2019

How do I cover this air conditioner?

Michelle LeslieJohn BiermacherGretchen Krutz
+18

I was thinking of cutting a piece of plywood that just covers the space and put hinges on the left side so when I need to use it in the summer, then I just open the cover. But I need to decorate it somehow?

• Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

How about getting two cabinet doors and putting hinges on both side for a shutter look. There are shutters for indoors that would look nice too. Or you could build a frame around it like a picture.

• Gina
      Gina

That’s just what I was going to suggest as well. Great minds think alike. Lol

• I like Shore Grandmom's idea about using shutters. A good place to find them is at the Habitat for Humanity stores.

William

I also like Shore's idea. Doulble shutters. Paint or decoupage a picture on them. Paint them same color as walls. Stain them.

• Doreen
    Doreen

How about using the barn door sliders with a art piece on the front that you can slide back and forth. Make the art look like the outside or a window.

• Terri
    Terri

I have seen some done with shutters and they look very nice but I think Doreen's barn door sliders with artwork is brilliant. You could change the art work for a new look whenever you wanted to.

• Brittany Bacon
    Brittany Bacon

I do like the shutters idea but if your looking for something simple you could hang a curtain their. It would be simple to open when in use and close when not in use.

• Carolina
    Carolina

I purchased louvered shutters on ebay for $40. Looks great! Easy to do.

• Sandy
    Sandy

I'm thinking of something much easier. Get a picture frame or make one to fit around the opening. Take a piece of foam board and cut to fit inside the frame. Cover it with fabric or a picture. This part would stay on in the winter and then u take out the picture part in the summer. The frame of course would stay up all year and the picture part could easily be changed out based on seasons or holidays.

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

Make sure you put some insulation of some sort on the open areas all around the air conditioner. The shutter idea is a really nice one and would definitely hide it when you aren't using it. Build a nice frame around it and stain the wood, or paint it with the paint you used on the walls and you can Mount the shutters to that to make the wall around the air condition look better.

• Mollie Phillips
    Mollie Phillips

My son and granddaughter cut a sheet of plywood to fit in the area. He painted a Texas flag looks like a custom design for on our country house.

• Nancy
    Nancy

You might also clean up the boards you have holding up the unit by making it on all four sides with framing strips & don't forget to insulate those open sides too. You could use magnets o r Velcro and cover with that art work hanging above, looks about the same size and cover during winter and move up when in use.

• Jan Loehr
    Jan Loehr

You also need to hide the large cord hanging down on the left side as well...it too is an eyesore....my suggestion is to go to your local Home store and see what covers are available for wires going into wall sockets....

• Mona-Lisa Mallo
    Mona-Lisa Mallo

Thank you so much for all your ideas! I very much appreciate it. I’ll let you all know what I decide and I’ll take a picture of the finished product.

• Darlene Nuppnau
    Darlene Nuppnau

My son put a China cabinet in front of it in his mobile home.

• Jeannie Jacobs
    Jeannie Jacobs

I trim mine out with Molding.

• Bryan's Workshop
    Bryan's Workshop

Cabinet doors sounds awesome. I can't tell from this picture, but did you install a sleeve for your unit first? You should buy a trim kit too. Both are easy to install and will make everything look neater and benefit the unit.

• Gretchen Krutz
    Gretchen Krutz

Get a curtain rod that goes with your decor, drape one end of an interesting patterned small rug over it so it hangs from about eye-level down low enough to cover the unit and some of the cord. Much less work, and more unique.

• John Biermacher
    John Biermacher

Can't tell how much space you have at each side, but I envision a wall hung box around the the air conditioner but twice the width with the air conditioner centered in the middle of the box frame. The ends could be book shelfs or curios nooks. Cover with 2 sliding type "barn doors". When the air conditioner is in use they slide to the outside, covering the nooks. When not in use they slide to the center.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi there, it's not a good idea to cover air conditioners, since you'll be blocking the air flow and they won't work anymore. You can hide it using one of these methods - https://hvac.ninja/articles/hide-outdoor-ac/