Kim Smith
Kim Smith
  • Dayton, OH

Sunpatiens? I Had Never Heard of These!

I had not heard of these plants at all. Perhaps I have just walked past them in the garden center because I have not had good luck with regular impatiens for shade. The walleriana cultivar. But our Garden Club went on a tour of a local hospital's garden, called the Garden of Hope at Miami Valley Hospital South and I fell in love with them.
gardening sunpatiens flowers garden, flowers, gardening
They are a hybrid, if I understood the landscaper's explanation correctly, of the New Guinea impatiens and are not susceptible to the downy mildew like the walleriana type which is the shade impatiens. Aren't these luscious?
In this garden, there are three huge arches which arch over the walkways. They are magnificent. Those archways are metal and irrigated. Our tour was on July 23, so you can see how well they were doing midsummer.
Those archways have about 12 inches of soil, so they do have room for a lot of roots. He pulled and let us check it over.
Probably, a lot of you belong to Garden Clubs. I enjoy visiting the different gardens, both of members and public gardens. I get so many inspiring ideas! Like SunPatiens!
This is a close-up of the Sunpatiens. Very attractive foliage, I think. Want some! This is not one of my blog posts, I just had to talk about these. Meanwhile, I am browsing here and learning.

Kim Smith

• Betty819

I was looking for them this year at HD but I must have not been looking very good. Their flowers were horrible the few times I was there. A lot were dying from lack of watering or rain, then there was a period of too much rain, and now the rain is sporatic..Had a hard rain yesterday and a good soaking rain today, so things should bounce back hopefully.

• Dona Fellows

sun impatients have been around for years. They started with New Guinea impatients, the first that could be grown in the sun. It's erupted from there.