Asked on Feb 10, 2019

How do I install a security camera in my backyard?

SethFlipturnCheryl A
+1

I want to add a security camera to my backyard. My cameras need a power source to plug into, so I found a flood light that I could mount the camera near thinking I could tap off the power of the flood light. My question is how do I get a plug in that box/hole where the flood light is located. I was thinking that I could run the camera plug into the flood light hole to keep it out of the weather. But all there is is a square electrical box with no room to add an outlet.thanks in advance

• Mad29883817

U have to put another box for outlet and tap into wiring from floodlight

• Flipturn

Although it may be temping to do so, trying to 'tap off' the flood light power is not a safe move. If you were to have a fire, as the set up will not be to code, it may even null your home insurance policy if you were to file a claim.

Is the plug and cord coming from the security camera rated for outdoor use? If so, then have an additional plug installed on the nearest wall to where you want to mount the camera. A qualified electrician should be able to add an additional code-conforming exterior outlet.

• Seth

Ron,

Have you considered a motion activated game camera like the one's hunters use? They have rechargeable batteries. You would be able to put it anywhere and easily change the location.