DIY Wall Mounted Fruit & Veggies Holder

$30

This DIY Wall Mounted Fruit and Veggie Holder made from pallet wood is a practical way to keep fruits and vegetables in an easy to access spot.

diy wall mounted fruit veggies holder

While neither my daughter (who blogs with me at Across the Blvd) nor I can lay claim to being useful with power tools, that’s not the case for Georges. They recently bought a new home and he’s got several DIY furniture builds in the works and this wall mounted basket holder was the first of lots of projects that we’ll be sharing as he completes them.

They recently went to a sale in their neighborhood for some neighbors that were having a moving sale. They were fortunate that the owners offered them some wood pallets for free-all they had to do was move them down the street a few houses to theirs. Using a miter saw, Georges disassembled the pallet.

diy wall mounted fruit veggies holder

After measuring the wall space, he cut pieces of the wood to size and placed them in a pattern that they liked. The wood pieces are screwed into cut pieces of 2x4s. 

diy wall mounted fruit veggies holder

To mount the pieces of the 2x4s to the wall, 3 and 1/16" square bend hooks are attached into the wall studs and the wood is nestled into them. They are heavy enough to hold the weight that will be added with the pallet wood, baskets, and stored items.

diy wall mounted fruit veggies holder

The metal baskets were purchased at a local liquidation store, but they can be found at most big box stores, too.

diy wall mounted fruit veggies holder

They’re attached to the wood with cup hooks. 

diy wall mounted fruit veggies holder

They opted to leave the wood natural to go with their farmhouse styled kitchen, but staining or painting it are options that would look great, too.

diy wall mounted fruit veggies holder

I think it looks great in their kitchen and they keep it filled with colorful fruits and vegetables, giving a pop of color to the space that is white with gray accents.

diy wall mounted fruit veggies holder

**Please note: If the pallet wood is older than 2005, it could have been treated with methyl bromide and could have the marking MB on it. While some experts say that the danger dissipates in open air, others say it shouldn't be used for projects like this or for a garden. MB hasn't been used since 2005 in the US. It's now heat treated and could have the marking HT on it and it should be safe to use. This is information I have gathered on line. Use caution if you work with pallet wood is my advice.

To see more, please visit us at Across the Blvd!

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd

• Juls
    20 hours ago

SO CLEVER. I need this desperately. Our new kitchen island is hugh. We replaced a very small island with only 2 cabs and 2 drawers into a 4 drawer, 4 cabs unit. It has 16 drawers and no cabinets for storage and still we have fruit baskets and bowls cluttering the top. This is a project that I can do easily. Thanks!!!

• I love the look of it but I heard that pallet wood is almost always treated with toxic chemicals (to keep wood loving insects at bay I suspect). Since hearing that I have not wanted to use it for any project inside my house or for anything for my pets or even the really adorable idea of using them to grow a vertical strawberry garden. Do you think that it isn't true or do you have a way of sealing the pallet wood so that this isn't a concern for you? Just curious (not trying to be a critic). Great job.

• Thanks, Justine. If the pallet wood is older than 2005, it could have been treated with methyl bromide and could have the marking MB on it. While some experts say that the danger dissipates in open air, others say it shouldn't be used for projects like this or for a garden. MB hasn't been used since 2005 in the US. It's now heat treated and could have the marking HT on it and it should be safe to use. This is information I have gathered on line. Use caution if you work with pallet wood is my advice.