DIY Wall Mounted Fruit & Veggies Holder

$30

This DIY Wall Mounted Fruit and Veggie Holder made from pallet wood is a practical way to keep fruits and vegetables in an easy to access spot.

While neither my daughter (who blogs with me at Across the Blvd) nor I can lay claim to being useful with power tools, that’s not the case for Georges. They recently bought a new home and he’s got several DIY furniture builds in the works and this wall mounted basket holder was the first of lots of projects that we’ll be sharing as he completes them.

They recently went to a sale in their neighborhood for some neighbors that were having a moving sale. They were fortunate that the owners offered them some wood pallets for free-all they had to do was move them down the street a few houses to theirs. Using a miter saw, Georges disassembled the pallet.

After measuring the wall space, he cut pieces of the wood to size and placed them in a pattern that they liked. The wood pieces are screwed into cut pieces of 2x4s. 

To mount the pieces of the 2x4s to the wall, 3 and 1/16" square bend hooks are attached into the wall studs and the wood is nestled into them. They are heavy enough to hold the weight that will be added with the pallet wood, baskets, and stored items.

The metal baskets were purchased at a local liquidation store, but they can be found at most big box stores, too.

They’re attached to the wood with cup hooks. 

They opted to leave the wood natural to go with their farmhouse styled kitchen, but staining or painting it are options that would look great, too.

I think it looks great in their kitchen and they keep it filled with colorful fruits and vegetables, giving a pop of color to the space that is white with gray accents.

**Please note: If the pallet wood is older than 2005, it could have been treated with methyl bromide and could have the marking MB on it. While some experts say that the danger dissipates in open air, others say it shouldn't be used for projects like this or for a garden. MB hasn't been used since 2005 in the US. It's now heat treated and could have the marking HT on it and it should be safe to use. This is information I have gathered on line. Use caution if you work with pallet wood is my advice.

To see more, please visit us at Across the Blvd!

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd

• Heather

I really like your project but my mother and I are disabled and doing the wood pallet part would be very difficult for us. Could we either use a pre-cut piece of wood from the hardware store or leave the wood out all together and just hook the baskets to a wall? Or does anyone out there have any other suggestions? We're not terribly crafty but we do like to try. LOL! Thanks for the help!

• Cindy Smith

hi , this is a nice project but if you go to lowes or homedepo and have them cut a board the size you want be sure to have your baskets first so youll know the size. then put wire on the back for hanging.

• Anita Isabel

In love. Did mine slightly different but I am in love with it

• Leslie

Beverly, thank you so much for making people aware of which types of pallets to use. Both pallets and old painted wood such as doors, shutters etc should be investigated to make sure that off gassing and lead paint are not present. People can find lead paint testers in their local hardware, HD or Lowes for an inexpensive price. A listing of what makes a safe pallet can be found online. Again, thank you and your project is wonderful !!! Thank you for sharing.