Apple Crate Book Shelf

$50

If you're looking for a fun and different bookshelf, check out this idea, using nothing but some wooden crates! This is such an easy hack, and you can make it as big or small as you like. It's also so easy to change the overall look if you choose to do so.

4 large crates
4 large crates

I started with 4 large used apple crates and I just brushed them down a bit to remove the debris.

At this point you could paint them, but I left them natural and love the way they look. Don't worry if they are broken, it adds the the rustic charm.

Damaged crate
Damaged crate

Once your boxes are clean and ready, you can start to play around with the layout. You can try piling them up in different ways, and see what works best for you. You can also use more crates to make this bigger.

I arranged mine like this-

apple crate book shelf

I glued mine together with no more nails glue.

I purchased some small crates in error (whoops!) and decided to add them in for an extra feature.

Extra crates
Extra crates

apple crate book shelf

How cute is that? This is how it looks once it's all dry.

It's ready to dress.

Happy crafting

apple crate book shelf

• Laura

Where did you get the apple crates and how expensive were they? I have been wanting to do something similar but the crates in stores are all smaller than what I'm looking for or pretty pricey. LOOKS GREAT by the way!

• Kim
      21 hours ago

try local craft store. i have gotten mine at Michaels

or even A.C. Moore

• Debi

YES! I too would love to do this! Were did you get the Large crates??

1 comment
  • Wendy

This looks awesome, Natasha! Thanks for sharing this fun idea.