Are Bugs Ruining Your Summer Relaxation Plans? See My Easy Solution!

14K Views
We love spending time outdoors with the family but bugs were a total nuisance. Here's my easy DIY solution!
Difficulty: Easy
  • mason jar bug repellent candle, mason jars, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
These easy and inexpensive DIY citronella candles are made with torch fuel, lamp wicks and mason jars for an effective deterrent for bugs!
For materials you'll need the above materials.
Using the pint sized mason jars punch a hole from the bottom in the center of the lid. This allows for easier installation of the wick. Push and twist the wick through the hole in the lid leaving 1/8 inch exposed.
Fill jar with citronella torch fuel. Screw on the lid and ring and pull the wick through. That’s it! These little candles make a great gift for neighbors or friends and create a warm and inviting ambiance for an outdoor room.

Suggested materials for this project:

Marty's Musings

Ask a Question
      • Miriam I
        Miriam I Houston, TX

This is the best looking pest control solution I've seen yet!

• Angelia Christenson
          Angelia Christenson Dallas, GA

I replaced my OLD and rusted torch cans with wine bottles for a wedding using big hex nuts and the wicks that come with tiki torches and fuel. My son saved me like ten differnt kinds of wine bottles to make wind chimes with but i havent the courage to try CUTTING THEM....eeek. So, i may add a few of these on the food tables as well. Im sure i have some cute jelly jars someplace i can use...thanks. I have ponds with streams and the fish eat a lot of the bugs but those no seeums just really get to me during an event with food.