Hayden Scharrer
Hayden Scharrer
  • Battle Creek, MI

Faux Brick Accent Wall

$30

We finally found some time to work on dining room and decided to add a faux brick accent wall to this room. It's a long and skinny room conjoined to our living area and needed something to help break it up. I decided to create a budget friendly faux brick wall and we love how it turned out!

Let's take it back to the listing photo and where this room began. The far wall is the wall we'll be bricking!

faux brick accent wall

Materials:Large Container of Joint CompoundSpackle KnifeMasking TapeGlovesAcrylic PaintWhite Paint (Latex or Chalk)

faux brick accent wall

Step One: Taping

The first step is using your masking tape to tape off your bricks. I measured how tall I wanted my bricks to be, and used a level to draw a horizontal line. I then taped all of my horizontal lines first. Then I randomly placed my vertical strips to create my bricks. Bricks create a pattern so once you have row done, it’s easy to guess where the rest should go.

faux brick accent wall

Step Two: Joint Compound

Next, you are going to smear your joint compound using your spackle knife all over your wall. You don’t need to get it smooth, as bricks have texture and that’s the look we’re going for here.

faux brick accent wall

Step Three: Tape Removal

After you’ve spread your joint compound on, remove your tape. This can get messy so wear gloves and keep a trash bag nearby. You want to be sure to do this while the joint compound is still wet or it’s going to be hard to remove the tape.

You can see at the very top of the wall that I haven't removed the tape just yet.

faux brick accent wall

Step Four: PaintingOnce your joint compound has dried, you can start painting. I use acrylic paints because they’re cheap and can cover a lot of surface area. I just stipple my brush in a few different colors, and wipe it onto the bricks. You can get messy with this, because we’re going to paint in the grout lines later. The colors I used were dark brown, brown, a mix of creams, and off white.I then whitewashed my brick by dipping my brush into white paint and lightly brushing over the bricks.
Once you’re done painting the bricks, you can go ahead and paint in your grout lines. I chose white for this as well.

faux brick accent wall

And for the final result!

The faux brick added so much depth and texture to this room and for a project that cost less than $30, I'd say it was well worth it!

faux brick accent wall

You can head to my blog here to see more photos: https://www.haydenscharrer.com/faux-brick-accent-wall/

faux brick accent wall
faux brick accent wall
faux brick accent wall

• Tape
  • Joint Compound
  • Acrylic Paint
Hayden Scharrer

• Angela Perryman

Where did you get your chair slip covers?

• Sande

AWESOME JOB👏👏👏👏👏

Great befores and afters!

• Robin

In the original photo, your wall was white... did you paint it blue at some point and change your mind? Wouldn’t it be easier to use this technique over a white wall & not need to paint the “grout lines”?

It looks really fantastic!!! Love the rustic look and how it matches your backsplash!

• Patty Ann

Thats what i was thinking as well..start with the white wall or a light gray like the real mortar ...either way cool idea