DIY Faux Olive Tree

$16

This is such an easy (and did I mention inexpensive?!) DIY project that will add instant character to your home! And for those of you with Black thumbs, this is an ever-green olive tree! No water needed (well, maybe just a wee bit)!

These babies are so easy and so cute, I want to put them all over the house! You could even use smaller brances to make a mini-version!

diy faux olive tree

Here are the basic materials and what the tree will look like before it is assembled (except you'll also need a branch and some potting soil)!

diy faux olive tree

Step 1:

Use your scissors or wire cutters to cut apart your olive bush into individual stems.

diy faux olive tree

Step 2:

Fill the bottom of your bucket with a bit of soil, then add your floral foam. Stick your branch into the middle of the foam, but be careful not to poke it all the way through.

diy faux olive tree

Step 3:

Fill the bucket the rest of the way with dirt, and add just a touch of water - it will help compact the soil and hold the weight of the foam/branch more securely (you can top it off with water every few weeks to help the soil stay compact as well, and add more soil as necessary).

diy faux olive tree

Step 4:

Decide where you want each olive stem, and use your drill to drill a small hole into the branch - big enough for the end of the stem to fit into, but also be sure not to drill all the way through the branch.

diy faux olive tree

Step 5:

Put hot glue on the end of the stem, and a dab inside the hole, too; then poke the end of your stem into the hole and HOLD - yes, hold. You'll probably have to hold for about 60-90 seconds just to be sure it's secure!

Step 6:

Clean up the glue "cobwebs" and the rest of your space, and you're done! Readjust the branch in the bucket and press down to compact the dirt even more if needed!

PRO TIP:

You can always use more than one olive "bush" to make your tree more full - I may add a few more stems at a later date, but I'm liking the look of her for now!

diy faux olive tree
diy faux olive tree

And that's it y'all! Seriously so easy - and inexpensive too! (The only things I actually had to buy were the stems, bucket and floral foam, which rang in at about $15, because I only ever shop things at Hobby Lobby when they're on sale!)

• Faux Olice Bush  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Bucket  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Floral Foam  (Hobby Lobby)
Ana Ochoa

• Jessie

Absolutley adorable! Love it !

• Gabi
    Yesterday

I love Greece and I love olive trees, but the real ones are really expensive. This idea is totally awesome!

• Ana Ochoa
      14 hours ago

Thank you Gabi! I hope you can add a bit of Greece to your home with this DIY! :)