Vintage Sewing Cabinet Turned Porch Planter

We purchased 2 of these vintage sewing cabinets at a moving sale. We only wanted & needed one, but the seller was very motivated to sell them at a great price if we took both of them. So we did and we knew exactly what we would do with the one that had some damage.
planter repurpose sewing cabinet vintage, container gardening, flowers, gardening, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
We knew that we were going to paint it, just needed to decide what brand, color & finish that we would use. We decided on General Finishes because they had the perfect color of yellow that we were looking for, it's called Sunglow. Then we knew that the cabinet would be on a porch outdoors so we went with General Finishes exterior 450 in flat to help seal and protect it.
Here is a close up of the vibrant color yellow that we used along with fun new hardware.
Here it is completed and sitting so pretty at the front door. Ready to welcome everybody.

• Robin Auer

I know this is an old thread. I have a mahogany one that is still in good shape. Am downsizing in the spring and don't know what to do with it. I am old school and cringe at the thought of painting over solid wood but I love the planter idea...and I can so envision mine in a nice barn red color.....

• Oh that would look adorabl! I just did another one for a client in an antique white. It turned out SO cute!!!!