Vintage Sewing Cabinet Turned Porch Planter

We purchased 2 of these vintage sewing cabinets at a moving sale. We only wanted & needed one, but the seller was very motivated to sell them at a great price if we took both of them. So we did and we knew exactly what we would do with the one that had some damage.
planter repurpose sewing cabinet vintage, container gardening, flowers, gardening, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
We knew that we were going to paint it, just needed to decide what brand, color & finish that we would use. We decided on General Finishes because they had the perfect color of yellow that we were looking for, it's called Sunglow. Then we knew that the cabinet would be on a porch outdoors so we went with General Finishes exterior 450 in flat to help seal and protect it.
Here is a close up of the vibrant color yellow that we used along with fun new hardware.
Here it is completed and sitting so pretty at the front door. Ready to welcome everybody.

• María Ávila

what do you put inside the drawers to protect the wood and keep it from damaging the wood when you water the plants?

• Shannon L Miller-Johnson

I'd like to know the same question as above! What do you use to protect the wood when watering?

• Terry

Did you paint the underside as well as the inside??

• Shabby and Sew Much Mor

We did not~ We use high quality paint and didn't feel the need to use it for those areas that nobody is going to see anyway.

• Patricia Bevis

Where do you find the paint?

• Por6729027

This came so Beautiful and also is just such a cheerful feeling when you look at it!! That is exactly what you want when approaching your home for yourself and others!!! Love the color and hardware you chose! The flowers are also a great match ! My question is how do you grow those beautiful flowers Under the Porch with hardly any Sunlight?? Do you take them out? Or just get some peeking in? Thank you in advance!

• Linda McCray McFadden

Do you line the drawers before planting and with what

• Teresa Turner Hummell

This is exactly what I am looking for but in bright red. Would something like this be able to be outside in all weather? We definitely have all 4 seasons here in KS. What kinds of plants did you use? Where did you get the awesome knobs? Thanks so much!

• Shabby and Sew Much Mor

Hi there~ no we don't keep it out all year. we just put it out in Spring and it goes back in the garage in the Fall and it's kept under a covered porch. We use all different flowers~ it's really your choice! Knobs were purchased from a little shop here in Seattle! Hope that helps~ good luck!

• Eil8361917

The plants are growing so well! It looks like this is on a porch, I guess they get sun even there? This is adorable!!

• Nadine Lader

Do u ave there o sand off the original finish before painting it?

• Robin Auer

I know this is an old thread. I have a mahogany one that is still in good shape. Am downsizing in the spring and don't know what to do with it. I am old school and cringe at the thought of painting over solid wood but I love the planter idea...and I can so envision mine in a nice barn red color.....

• Shabby and Sew Much Mor

Oh that would look adorabl! I just did another one for a client in an antique white. It turned out SO cute!!!!