Asked on Feb 13, 2019

How to soften scratchy towels?

MaryLynn SorrellKathy Gunter Law
+5

• Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

Patricia...Do you use fabric softener or softener sheets in dryer? That works for me.

• Here's a link with 3 ways, Patricia:

https://www.wikihow.com/Soften-Towels

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

Use liquid fabric softener. Dryer sheets just don't seem to do it.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

As much as they say don't use fabric softener, I do it anyway. Old fashion blue Downy in the wash. The theory is that it will lessen the absorbency but I've never had a problem. My mother has always done it also. Our towels are super soft and absorbent. Also, consider purchasing a set of wool dryer balls. I use both and BONUS, they cut your drying time. If you are worried about absorbency, maybe start with the dryer balls. Here are the ones I use and love. $8 for 6 is the best deal I found. They last for a very long time, much longer than the plastic ones which dry out & crack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014WOWNAY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

Fabric softeners contain silicon that will make towels water repellent, so they won't get as good a wash,or dry you as well. Instead, soften your towels by using one cup of white vinegar about every six weeks; this will remove the soapy residue that makes towels feel rough, bringing back softness while restoring them to full absorbency.

• Lynn Sorrell
      Lynn Sorrell

it also leaves residue on inside of washer dryer and exhaust vent creating even more problems especially dryer vent lint sticking in it if it's not cleaned regularly fire hazard. Also try wool dryer balls with/with out 100%pure essential oil on them to scent your laundry And lrg aluminum balls in druyer prevent static both the balls and foil also cut drying time helping keep laundry fluffed while drying.

• Mary
    Mary

This sounds weird, but put a cup of white vinegar in your rinse cycle. Then dry as usual. The vinegar breaks up any soap residue and doesn't leave a servant. You'll be surprised at how well it works, I was amazed.