How to Upcycle an Old Knit Into a No-Sew Pillow Case

$0

I had this old white knitted scarf that I didn’t like at all. It was so outdated and hard to wear because it used to mess up my hair while wearing it. Still its texture was nice that I thought I should use it somehow.

Which I did eventually by turning it into a pillow cover.

how to upcycle an old knit into a no sew pillow case

It took me less than 20 minutes to craft this pillow cover, since the tassels were already done. They were supposed to decorate a dark grey blanket, but the color combination didn’t look so good in the end, so I gave up attaching them, and decided to keep them for another project. Upcycling the pipe scarf gave me the perfect opportunity to use them.

Beside the tassels and the knit, you need some yarn, a scissor and a crochet hook to craft this project. If you don't have some ready made tassels, you can easily improvise some from old yarn and a few wooden beads.

Most of you probably know already how to craft a tassel, but if you need specific instructions on how to craft exactly the same tassels as mine, check the step by step instructions on my blog HERE.

If your tassels are ready to use, let's see how to turn the scarf into a pillow cover.

First, make sure that the scarf fits the size of the pillow (mine fit perfectly) as cutting the edges of a knit might lead it to unravel.

Use the crochet hook and the yarn to attach the sides of the knit, in order to turn it into a pillow case, then attach a tassel on each end of it.

Leave one side apart, so you could dress the pillow with the cover. Add the last two tassels at the corners before closing the gap, so you could take the cover off for washing without affecting them. dress the pillow, then seal this side too, using the crochet hook. That’s it!

I hope you like this kind of pillow it as much as i do, and I hope you will find the inspiration to make your own pillow cases out of old knits.

Check the article on my blog HERE to see more beautiful pictures of this new pillow cover, but also the real life version of wearing it. L

Gabi

• Sherry g

I like this idea of a pillow case made from a knitted item. Sounds easy to do also.

• Sandra Allen

I love this. Nothing better than repurposing something. If someone is going to do this and doesn't have any wooden beads, just roll up some scrap yarn and use that for the balls. Looks so yummy!!