Alchemy Home
Alchemy Home
  • Alexandria, VA

Curbside Table Rescue!

Nothing like a good curbside find on trash day! I found this little wooden table that someone put for trash yesterday, so I snatched it up and gave it a little makeover for our balcony!
chalk paint patio table, outdoor furniture, painted furniture
After cleaning the 2" of dust, dirt, and pollen off of this piece, I gave it a light sanding and used ASCP to paint it. I chose to use Aubusson Blue on the base, dry brushed with Old White and then a wash of Old White and Aubusson on top to create a rustic, driftwood effect with a stripe pattern. I didn't use any wax or poly over the paint, as I've read for using ASCP outdoors you shouldn't put any top coat.
This is definitely an experimental piece, because I've always been curious about just how well Chalk Paint will actually hold up to the elements and outdoor use.
It is marketed to use indoor or outdoor, so I'm planning on watching it closely over the next few months to see what happens!
Even if the experiment fails and she doesn't hold up long, it sure is lovely now and really has brightened up our balcony!

Alchemy Home

• Debby

I have a table like this that I'm ready to put in the trash....now I'm going to try your solution, thank you for your post:) and I do live in Florida and the Sun is tough on wood!

• Carole

I love curb side trash! You can find some wonderful stuff there. Lovely table. I just picked up two 1950's garden benches that were so rusty and rotten that most people would have not given a second look. Honestly the timber fell apart when touch and the frames are rust all over. There was one by the curb so I got my hubby to come with me in his car (bigger car than mine) and it just about fit into the hatchback although I had to walk back as the passenger seat was so far forward to accommodate the length of the bench that there was no room for me - good job it was just 5 mins up the road! Second day drove passed again and they had put the other one out. Snaffled that one too. I have got as far as knocking off the old slats with a claw hammer and had to use bolt cutters to get the bolts out as they were rusted and the nuts would not turn to loosen the bolts for removal. I have a vision of how they can be and will post on here when done!