Turn a Pallet Into a Plant Hanger

$30

5 years ago I got an itch to make a decorative piece for my patio out of a wood pallet. I brought a pallet home from work and started removing some of the slats. OK, has anyone else ever tried to take the slats off of a pallet? HOLY *#@&%! Its really hard! I even had my oldest son come out and help me, I was really struggling! (These things are built to NOT come apart apparently.) After i FINALLY got the slats off of one side, I sanded and stained the whole thing.

Exhausted (and a bit deflated) I realized I really didn’t have a definite PLAN for this piece of pallet art. So it has been hanging on my patio looking like this for a LONG time...

5 years later…

I don’t know what happens sometimes. This was not on my radar at all for a dreary Wednesday afternoon…but the vision came from out of the blue. I’m tired of looking at this unfinished project and I'm going to turn it into a hanging succulent garden. You will find the link for the full post below. But the pics tell a pretty good story.

create a noose with thick twine

tie ends of noose together with thin twine

Hot glue the knot to secure

SHORT wood screws

Do not drill the screws flush to the wood, leave some room to hang the noose from the screw head

10 nooses...

Beautiful! Why did I wait SO LONG to finish this project?

Lisa Jane Long

• Charlene

great idea, thanks, but what about the water running out?

Best wishes, Charlene

• Virginia

Succulents require but a few drops of water every 7-10 days, no running water as that could cause rotting.

• Joan

Do you move the succulents planter indoors from your patio when the weather turns cold?

• Launa Elaine Strickland

I live in California also. On Sunday we have a forecasted high of 38 F, with a low of 14 F. I’m definitely bringing the potted plants in! 😁

• Bobbysgirl4

Not a question... but we did this with two small pallets and hung them on the fence as they were without removing the slats. We hung them horizontally rather than vertically and we are growing strawberries in them. We water the top row and the excess trickles through to water the rows beneath and we have pots on the ground underneath so everything gets a drink. We live in Australia and experiencing the worst drought on record so water is used sparingly.

• Carol Lacey

Awesome project