Lisa Jane Long
Lisa Jane Long
  • Winchester, CA

Turn a Pallet Into a Plant Hanger

$30

5 years ago I got an itch to make a decorative piece for my patio out of a wood pallet. I brought a pallet home from work and started removing some of the slats. OK, has anyone else ever tried to take the slats off of a pallet? HOLY *#@&%! Its really hard! I even had my oldest son come out and help me, I was really struggling! (These things are built to NOT come apart apparently.) After i FINALLY got the slats off of one side, I sanded and stained the whole thing.

Exhausted (and a bit deflated) I realized I really didn’t have a definite PLAN for this piece of pallet art. So it has been hanging on my patio looking like this for a LONG time...

turn a pallet into a plant hanger

5 years later…

I don’t know what happens sometimes. This was not on my radar at all for a dreary Wednesday afternoon…but the vision came from out of the blue. I’m tired of looking at this unfinished project and I'm going to turn it into a hanging succulent garden. You will find the link for the full post below. But the pics tell a pretty good story.

turn a pallet into a plant hanger

create a noose with thick twine

turn a pallet into a plant hanger

tie ends of noose together with thin twine

turn a pallet into a plant hanger

Hot glue the knot to secure

turn a pallet into a plant hanger

SHORT wood screws

turn a pallet into a plant hanger

Do not drill the screws flush to the wood, leave some room to hang the noose from the screw head

turn a pallet into a plant hanger

10 nooses...

turn a pallet into a plant hanger

Beautiful! Why did I wait SO LONG to finish this project?

turn a pallet into a plant hanger
turn a pallet into a plant hanger
Lisa Jane Long

• Charlene

great idea, thanks, but what about the water running out?

Best wishes, Charlene

• Virginia

Succulents require but a few drops of water every 7-10 days, no running water as that could cause rotting.

• Joan

Do you move the succulents planter indoors from your patio when the weather turns cold?

• Lisa Jane Long

The pots are very easy to remove if need be, but the planter is screwed into the wall. It is rare for us to have much cold weather where I am at...

• Evangelina Reyes

Nice, very nice. I want to do this!

• Lois

Beautiful and would look great hanging on the outside of my shed! A real space saver too!

Great job!