A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Footstool Refresher

$3

I found this little beauty at our local Restore for $3. I love small projects that pack a big punch. In the back of my closet was a 1/2 yard of dragonfly upholstery fabric that was just waiting for this little stool.

footstool refresher

Here's the $3 version as I found it at Restore.

footstool refresher

I removed the screws that attached the cushion to the base. I then removed the staples and fabric that covered the cushion.

footstool refresher

I used a new, thin muslin dishtowel to cover the cushion.

footstool refresher

I placed the fabric, right side down, over the cushion. I gathered and pinned the corners, and these sewed curved darts to form the shape of the cushion cover.

footstool refresher

After turning the fabric right side out, I pulled it over the cushion, being sure to line the corner seams neatly over the corners.

footstool refresher

Turning the cushion over, the fabric edges were stapled to the board, easing the corners to keep it looking as smooth as possible.

footstool refresher

The base was painted with three coats of apple green chalk paint, followed by a coat of clear wax.

footstool refresher

To hide any gap between the base and cushion, a cotton braid was stapled to the top edge of the base.

footstool refresher

The cushion was reattached to the base using L brackets.

footstool refresher
footstool refresher
footstool refresher

Here is the freshened up footstool. In person, the green in the base really makes the dragonflies pop.

• Ann Harris

Do you have a tutorial on how th make the curved darts? I can understand that you fold and pin the corners together. Then do you sew a free hand curve about an inch or two from the edge of the fabric? I can sew, but nothing too fancy!!! The stool is fabulous❤️

• A

Also, it should be a snug fit.

• Ann Harris

Thank you for the sewing directions !!! I think I’ll try to do it !!!

• Karolyn

I have a stool just like this that I covered last summer, but, I, too, am going to take it apart and finish it with the cording!! Just looks so much more professional....thank you for sharing. (By the way, I also picked up mine for $3.00!!)

• A

Thanks Karolyn. I pick up these babies whenever I see them at a great price. So easy to transform and what a lovely item to have in your home. Enjoy your makeover!