Covering Fur Down/Soffit in the Kitchen

$250

Fur down is the wall over your cabinets. Many people call it soffit but I was corrected when using that term and was told the construction term is fur down. You learn something new everyday. Some of you might have an empty space between the cabinets and ceiling. We had that before and I decorated it with cute little items that collected dust and got kind of greasy and gross after being there a while. If we

kitchen remodel soffit ceiling, countertops, diy, flooring, hardwood floors, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, woodworking projects

If you have read my other posts, you know that our goal was to make our 1980's kitchen look custom and high end without the custom, high end budget. Moldings are a great way to add the custom look for a small cost. I decided to use moldings to hide and cover the fur down. Here is the fur down before. It went all the way around the kitchen except for where the pantry is. And like most fur downs, it was textured and painted the same as the walls. To cover the fur down, I used drywall compound to fill in the texture. It took several rounds of filling and sanding. Once the texture was completely covered and everything was smooth, the moldings were added.

We built a refrigerator enclosure for our new counter depth fridge. The moldings were wrapped around it and the crown molding was continued into the dining room to create a seamless look. I went with two different moldings. There is an average sized crown molding along the ceiling and a small chair rail molding in the center.

The chair rail molding is only in the kitchen area. It starts with the fridge enclosure on the left of the kitchen and stops with the pantry on the right side.

Side by side before and after.

I love the final result. My husband and I had never done crown molding and were a little intimidated but I am so glad we did this. It wasn't as hard as we thought it would be and the final result is amazing. See all the kitchen before and after pictures along with product details here--> http://www.brianandkaylor.com/kitchen/

Brian & Kaylor

• Trishia

Did you consider removiyit altogether?

• ReallyBrandi

That would have required rewiring and possible repiping/ventilation moving. For the cost of that she could .....send a kid to college lol

• Vicki

What is the color name and company of the backsplash (4 x 12 subway)

• Janet

Backsplash

Tile, thinset, grout all purchased at The Flooring & Design Center in Beaumont, TX

Tile is manufactured by SOHO Studio and must be purchased through a distributer

– 4×12 polished glass in Natural White. I read this on their link site above.

• Barbara

What did you use for countertops

• Karolyn

That remodel turned out beautifully!! High end is what you were after and you certainly accomplished that...I love it! The backsplash color is just beautiful, too and really makes the area even better!

• Rhonda Gammon
    31 minutes ago

what a great job and it looks so much bigger!