How to Easily Dye Curtains

$50

The perfect pair of curtains can be a tricky thing to find. I had been searching for matching curtains for our open concept living room and dining room, and was very specific with what I wanted. My checklist included: long cotton canvas grommet curtains that fit within my budget, and were a pale aqua blue color. That’s a lot to ask for in a pair of curtains. All I could find were white curtains, but I figured I could easily dye them to get any color I wanted. Here's how!

how to easily dye curtains

The first step is to wash your curtains and leave them damp. While the curtains were in the washing machine I got the dye solution ready. I filled up an 18 gallon  Rubbermaid bin up to the line with warm water.

how to easily dye curtains

To get a pale aqua blue color I used a full pack of  Dylon China Blue fabric dye, and 1 tablespoon of Dylon Bahama blue. Mix it up in a small stainless steel bowl with some warm water, then add it to the Rubbermaid bin. I also added 7 tablespoons of salt to the water.

how to easily dye curtains

I shook out the damp curtains to try and get rid of as many wrinkles as possible, then gently submerged them in the dye and stirred according to the package directions.

how to easily dye curtains

Rinse the curtains in cold water in your machine, wash with warm water, dry, and iron. Then you're ready to hang them up!

Jessica VanderVeen

• Janice Bennett

I have not dyed anything but,I was told to add vinegar and salt to help it last longer.

Has anyone else heard of this before?

• Nancy Clark Jowers

I have used dye many times, as I was a military wife and dyed and reused my curtains and SOME drapes. I only used vinegar in my dye bath, between 1/2 and 1cup.

• Pam

Can I use foam backed curtains?

• Brenda

So when u put them in to rinse in cold water, the dye didn't turn your machine blue?

• Carol

Perfect color match. They look fabulous in the picture.

• Debra LoCicero

You said you use bahama blue and china blue, but your list said navy blue and bahama blue. I love the color just want to get the right mix.