Emily / Relentless Furniture
Emily / Relentless Furniture
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Milwaukee, WI

Repurposed Antique Dry Sink

$15

We found this old dry sink/changing table at a thrift store for $15 and I immediately saw potential for a new shabby chic piece of furniture. With a little paint and new hardware, I was ready to transform this old dry sink.

repurposed antique dry sink

It was a beautiful dark wood but it was also covered in scratches.

repurposed antique dry sink

The first step was sanding it all down. Once it was smooth and cleaned up, I used painter's tape and plastic to cover the top.

repurposed antique dry sink

I wanted the base color to be gray, but I didn't want a thick, solid coat. In order to achieve the look I was going for, I added a little water to the paint and went with a gray wash look.

repurposed antique dry sink

Once the gray was dry, I moved on to dry brushing with some leftover Behr Paint(Polar Bear White). I dipped the paint brush in the paint, but then I dabbed the brush on a paper towel to leave just a minimal amount of paint on the brush. This technique is great for getting an uneven, textured paint job which gives your furniture a nice weathered/antique look.

repurposed antique dry sink

Once the painting was done, I added new handles and this piece was complete!

repurposed antique dry sink

The base of this dry sink was in really good condition which made it easy to simply sand away some of the scratches and give a shabby chic paint job to create a gorgeous piece of furniture.

• Grace Hibdon

I have a terra cotta planter that is broken in several places, what can I use to put it back together without harming my ivy that was originally in it?

• Jeri Walker

why did you not paint the top? you taped it off with plastic?

• Dl.5660408

It’s really beautiful and the new handles are lovely. What will you be using it for?

• My husband runs a martial arts dojo and it's in that bathroom to store cleaning supplies and toilet paper in the bottom cabinets. And he put lotion, hand sanitizer, tissue, etc. on the top for the students to use.

• Dl.5660408

Thanks for answering! It really is a lovely piece

• Kelly-n-Tony

I think it's actually a baby changing table? I had one that looked just like that.

• Janet

It's a dry sink.

• This design was originally a dry sink, but when I was looking at different ideas on the internet, I saw people use this style as a changing table.

• Sheri Farley

I have two and they are dry sinks and I think there from the 1940s? I’m turning one into a cabinet for my bathroom going to sit a vessel sink on the top of it and the other one I’m going to do the same way but it’s going in my she shed and I bought a really cool faucet for them both here are some pictures of one of the dry sinks and the faucet

• Lp

It is a dry sink. The one she repurposed is a 1960s Ethan Allan dry sink. I believe it was part of the tavern collection.

• Susan

Wow, I have that exact same dry sink! When my kids were babies we used it as a changing table. Now I want to redo mine! Beautiful job!