Chas' Crazy Creations
Chas' Crazy Creations
  • Fort Collins, CO

Create A Storage Shelf With Wood Crates

$30

I needed something to put our games, puzzles, and DVD's on but my space was limited. I found a space that might work, measured it, and found that some basic wood crates would be just what I needed to create shelves for storage.

You can see more of my crazy creations here

create a storage shelf with wood crates

We have a small place in the mountains. When we're there we focus on slowing down and spending quality time together. We get out games and puzzles to do together, especially when it's cold and snowy outside.

create a storage shelf with wood crates

At the end of the day we watch a movie together. Our space is limited, as it's a small place so we needed a way to store our games, puzzles, and movies so they wouldn't be in the way.

create a storage shelf with wood crates

I found this little space next to our couch and end table that would be perfect, but the trick was to figure out what how to make custom shelving to fit the space I had.

create a storage shelf with wood crates

I measured the length and wrote it down.

create a storage shelf with wood crates

I next measured the depth before it crossed paths with our window and blinds. I wasn't as worried about height as I had a long way up to utilize.

create a storage shelf with wood crates

I found these crates at Walmart and they were exactly the dimensions I needed! They were also super affordable ... added bonus! It would also keep the natural wood look as we have a lot of natural wood as part of the walls and decor.

create a storage shelf with wood crates

I bought 3 of them and stacked them - perfect fit! I wasn't worried about them tipping so I literally stacked them together. If you wanted you could use wood glue, other adhesive, and/or small screws to make them more permanent.

create a storage shelf with wood crates

I then filled them with our games, puzzles, and movies and it has worked great. They're organized and out of the way, but easily accessible.

I would love to have you stop by my blog   Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Mark B.

Why didn't you mention the one, on rollers, under the end table? It's a great idea too!

• Janice

You just keep on inspiring me with all your creative and worthwhile posts! So many excellent ideas you share with all of us. I've saved many, many of them.....now just to get busy and stop observing and starting doing. Thank you!

• Joanie

Those crates sure can come in handy......great idea We got the wire Spools and the Skids too. They are helpful in some way.