How to Grow a Wildflower Meadow

$50

Have you ever thought about growing a wildflower garden, full of beautiful and colorful blooms? I'm going to share with you my experiences with growing a wildflower meadow, what I learned, and what I will do next year to continue getting colorful blooms year after year!

how to grow a wildflower meadow

My plans for the garden were to do a mix of perennial and annual flowers. Find out which plants I chose by clicking here. In the early spring, you can prepare the soil by turning it and removing rocks. Mix the wildflower seed with some sand and disperse it over the soil.

how to grow a wildflower meadow

Water the garden for the first few weeks, and also add some fertilizer.

how to grow a wildflower meadow

You might have to weed your wildflower garden every few weeks. It's supposed to look a little wild, so I didn't worry too much about weeding.

how to grow a wildflower meadow

Growing a wildflower meadow takes lots of patience. I was expecting a little more color this year, but I need to realize it takes time. This is only the first year. Each year after this the flowers will get bigger and stronger and more blooms.

Jessica VanderVeen

• Ladywell

Is there any particle type of sand that you used? Such as beach sand or sand from the store. Also, I think it is beautiful.

• Martha Anne Horning

Play sand works well for mixing with flower or grass seed. Home Depot or Lowe’s have it all year in the garden section.

• Beverly Brassfield

What about the grass just let it grow with the flowers or what I would love this but I don’t think my husband would

• Darla

Love it but please be patient. Some flowers, wild or not, take more than a year of growth before they flower. I learned this the hard way when I planted some, went out into the garden and weeded only to find that some of the plants that I had pulled were actually the wild flowers and I didn't recognize them. Only found out when I investigated as to why some of the plants didn't come up. Disappointed, yes but I didn't make the same mistake again. Happy Gardening :)

• Patty

Save your time and effort on tilling your plot of soil. When you turn your soil you're bring up new weed seedlings. It's best to just rake the soil lightly to loosen it for the wildflower seeds. Then cover it lightly with good soil, or else the birds might just eat all your seeds! If your soil is not good it's a good idea to add a good compost amendment. Fertilizer is not necessary in a wildflower garden. Happy Earth Day 2019!!!