Can I put in a new hood fan and an over the range microwave?

+12

Took down an old hood. Wanted to put up a new one and also put up a new over the range microwave. The store said you cant put a shelf on the wall for microwaves. They need to be bolted from top of microwave to wood so they don't tilt. I have 43 inches of space now and if I mount it to top I cant reach it. Any ideas. Thank you in advance

q can i put in a new hood fan and an over the range microwave
  • Russ Clay Russ Clay on Feb 19, 2019

Use a microwave with a fan and light underneath. These do mount onto the back wall, and two screws on the front to wood . If this doesn't work, can you add a small set of cabinets above your stove for the top screws?

• Oliva Oliva on Feb 19, 2019

If it's at all possible, think about placing a microwave on a cart and installing a quality exhaust vent above the stove. Microwaves with hoods lack the extraction power of a stand alone hood vent.

• See 1 previous
    • Oliva Oliva on Feb 21, 2019

Yes, I see that GE and Samsung have over the range vented microwaves for $419.00 and $300.00, respectively. Both can exhaust at 400 cfms, but that appears to be the highest cfm I could locate in a blog of 2019 best over the range microwave exhaust vents.

I found none in the 600 cfm range, as is available with stand alone hoods. It depends on the cfms you are seeking for your kitchen.

• Brenda Brenda on Feb 20, 2019

They have many microwave ovens that can be put above a range that with a built in exhaust fan and light on the bottom. Many varieties in big box stores, appliance stores, and kitchen centers. The light, exhaust fan and microwave all work well.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Feb 20, 2019

check out microwaves with vents included that's what we have and it works fine

• Helen Helen on Feb 20, 2019

Yes just make sure you have adequate space between the stove top and bottom of fan hood.

• Janet Janet on Feb 20, 2019

You could use a microwave over the stove to accomplish what you are trying to do. However I always am a little Leary reaching over a stove top which may be in use to access the microwave. Is there available counter space?

• Helen Helen on Feb 20, 2019

You can put a short cabinet above the microwave that is mounted to the cealing,then mount microwave/hoodfan to bottom of cabinet.

• Gina Hanson Gina Hanson on Feb 20, 2019

I believe there are metal hangars for microwaves to go over your stove. So you use that as well as bolting in from your cabinet above. We modified a previous kitchen cabinet to mount a microwave as there wasn't much counter space and it worked well. Newer above the range microwaves all have very powerful vents so you will not want both. Besides, it would look strange to try to mount a microwave above a hood vent. Just my opinion!

• Wyldecent Wyldecent on Feb 20, 2019

I have a combination microwave/vent that works well and is bolted into the wall and the cabinet above it (although you will need to cover the bolt heads inside the cabinet floor -- I use thick shelf liner). Mine as been secure for 15 years now.

• Donna Cagle Donna Cagle on Feb 20, 2019

Thank you everyone for your help. I thought of this because I cant put the microwave attach to the cabinet. I too short to reach it.

• Carole Carole on Feb 20, 2019

That looks like a very good option. It will let you install the microwave/hood low enough to be able to reach into it and cover the space between the top of the unit and the upper cabinet. Good luck with your project. I have microwave/vent units over my stove for years and have never had a problem with heat or moisture from cooking on the stove effect the micro. Just make sure you buy a quality unit.

• ROBERT A ORTON ROBERT A ORTON on Feb 20, 2019

I have a micro wave built over my range now. I took out half of the cupboard above the range, mounted the micro wave as recommended. The micro wave is affected by things cooked on the range. The micro wave shuts down because of the heat beneath. If you are cooking on both, there might be problems.