Asked on Feb 20, 2019

How do I get plastic off a glass top stove burner?

KedraJustwishingEllis
+12

Plastic stuck on my glass top stove burner

• Laura Cooper
    Laura Cooper

Heather, I would recommend using a brand new razor blade. Warm the surface slightly by turning on the burner for a few seconds so that the plastic is softened, then gently scrape off with the new razor. You will probably need to do this a few times because you don't want it too hot or too cool.

• Linda Lane
    Linda Lane

Did you try a razor blade scraper?

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty
    Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

This happened to me a few years ago and I used a utility knife. It worked great for me.

• Dmholt4391
    Dmholt4391

I would use the blade also only would weave it cold so won't smear.

• Jan Clark
    Jan Clark

It looks like the remains of a shopping bag, right? I'd try a widget (single edge razor blade in a special holder - you can get them in Walmart) on the cold surface first. Scrape at a 45' angle and see what comes off. Then, I'd go with a soft grit paste of baking soda and water. If that didn't work well enough, try the whole thing again with the area warmed. I wouldn't use the stove to warm it, though. Try a hair dryer - the temperature will be much easier to control. If it becomes a sticky mess, try the scraper again and then possibly some Goo-gone or acetone (nail polish remover) in tiny amounts to dissolve the spots. I had a similar experience but the plastic was heavier, the top was damaged and I had to replace the entire stove. Count your blessings and best of luck!

• Larry miller
      Larry miller

MUST BE USED ON AN ANGLE, I WOULD ALSO USE A LUBE, SOAP AND WATER, GENTLE PUSH ONLY, if not done carefully it WILL scratch the surface, so you will be no further ahead, I use this concept on my high end granite and marble. Heed the warning!!!!

• Pauline Saens
    Pauline Saens

My daughter used nail polish and it work, did not leave any Mark's on her glass top.

• Fran A
    Fran A

Ceramic Bryte has a kit that has all equipment needed to clean cook tops. It comes with complete instructions. It works like a charm!!!! You can purchase it at Home Depot or Lowes for under 10$.

• Justwishing
    Justwishing

There is a solution called GOO Gone and it works great. I have used it on my glass top and on various other items to remove everything from ink on clothing to plastic on the stove top. You can get it in the detergent area of the shopping store.

• Pam
      Pam

This is the best solution. Forget the other suggestions. GooGone liquid-Walmart- $5.

• Sue
    Sue

I used the regular stove top cleaner with the recommended scrubbing pad and it only took about 15 minutes to clean it off. Did a great job.

• Holly
    Holly

Turtle wax brand bug and tar remover removes just about anything. It also polishes the top to look brand new

• Ellis
    Ellis

Use a single edge razor blade in a scraper holder, held at an angle so it doesn't scratch the glass. Then try Cerama Bryte cleaner, let it sit for a while on the glass, then carefully scrub off with a damp paper towel.

• Justwishing
    Justwishing

Thanks I appreciate the remark.

• Kedra
    Kedra

Use a glass stovetop cleaner. It is available at Walmart.