DIY Glazed Blue Dresser Makeover

$50

I am so excited about this makeover. I am usually a neutral color person (unless green is involved), but after this makeover, I might be adding more color to the makeovers I do. This blue dresser could not have turned out any prettier and it was so easy to do.

This particular dresser was missing some of the back and part of the shelf inside. We had all the pieces for the back, so Matt just had to put them back on. He also added a board to the shelf in the bottom of the dresser. Easy fixes that brought this dresser back to a full piece. 

Supplies Used In This Blue Dresser Makeover:

Yankee Blue Paint Zibra Paint BrushVelvet Finishes Enhance GlazeOld Rag

Once the dresser was cleaned and dry, it was time for paint. I get asked all the time if I prep the pieces I paint. That all depends on the piece. The wood on this one was so dry so I knew it would take the paint well.

I have to be totally transparent and say when I first applied the Yankee Blue color, I was scared. I thought there was a purple undertone in it and that was not the direction I was going in at all. I decided not to freak out and go with it. I painted the entire dresser and as it started drying, it looked much better – less purple and more blue. When it was all dry, I still wanted to deepen the color a little more. Whenever that happens, I reach for a dark wax or glaze. To deepen the blue color on this piece, I used the Enhance Glaze from Velvet Finishes. I had it on hand, it is easy to use and I thought it would add the right amount of darkness I needed to achieve the color I was looking for.

To put the glaze on the dresser, I used a paint brush. Then, I rubbed it on and wiped it off with an old rag. I was blown away by what the glaze did to the paint color. It made it a richer blue and really gave this piece some extra character and charm. I know I said I am usually a neutral girl, but after this makeover, I will be adding more color to my makeovers. To see the full details of this makeover and the entire supply list, head to my blog post: mycreativedays.porch.com/diy-glazed-blue-dresser-makeover/

Lindsay Eidahl

• Maureen

Absolutely beautiful ❤️ I love the color.

Blue is so in right now. I did the same thing with an old dark wood dry sink.

• Lindsay Eidahl

Love it!!!