How to Take a Cabinet From Basic to Rustic

$25

We recently completed some renovations at my church, including the bathroom. We removed the hanging sinks and replaced them with a dual sink vanity. Since we were on a budget, we decided to purchase builder basic cabinets from a salvage store and finish them. I used a weathering stain to take the wood from basic to rustic.

After we installed the cabinets, sink top, and faucets, I got to work. I did not want to paint them because it would require a lot of upkeep, since the bathrooms are used daily at our church/preschool. I went to my paint stash and looked at several stain colors, but ultimately decided on Varathane Weathered Wood Accelerator that I had used previously on a farmhouse sign.

I used a small brush to apply a light coat of the stain. At first, it does not look like much, but it weathers the wood as it dries and sits for a while. After one coat, I felt like it was still too light, so I applied another coat and let dry.

I sealed it with a coat of clear satin polycrylic to protect the wood since it is in a bathroom.

Here is the finished product. If you have basic cabinets, you can transform them with a few bucks and weathered stain. It is also perfect to use on standard boards to make a farmhouse style sign.

3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas

• Nancy

Did you have to strip or sand before using the Varathane? I sure do love this look.

• AndradeTea

It looks cool. (Could you paint the toe-kick? ... just a thought :-)

• Judi

It looks great!! Does this have a grey/brown look or a true brown?

• Mary from Real Girl's Realm

Thank you! The lighting in the bathroom is florescent, so it alters the color a little. It is a greyish /tan. The weathered product I used was "Grey" but they also offer brown shades.

• Heide

Looks great. If you can change the faucets to farmhouse style it would be even better.

• Karen Julio

I did the very same thing! But, I added some rustic pulls and knobs from Hobby Lobby.