Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Abbie M
Abbie M
  • Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

A Brilliant Solution for Small Bathrooms With No Counter Space!

$60
1 Day

We just moved into a new apartment & our bathroom is tiny and oddly laid out with no counter space & no vanity... We had some existing shelves hung - but as you can see (even with baskets) it just wasn't enough storage....

post

Since the pedestal sink and toilet were so close together there was also next to no space to add more storage. So I came up with this cheap, easy, solution! Check out the video for the how-to's!

a brilliant solution for no small bathrooms with no counter space

Before  A cluttered mess...

post

First, I measured the distance from the edge of the toilet to the edge of the sink. Then, I measured to make sure the shelf wouldn't stick out much further than the sink and that the height was what I was looking for as well!

post

post

Next stop, IKEA! I found this bathroom shelf that fit perfectly from IKEA "VESKEN" for under $10.

(They have a lot of inexpensive bathroom shelves to choose from if you have more space than I had to work with!)

post

This shelf is super easy to snap together. It's 9" deep, 14 1/8 " wide, and 39 & 3/8" tall.

post

After assembling my shelf, I put it in place! (If you have more space this would also work well by putting it sideways!) Next, I measured the distance from the shelf to the wall & then measured above the toilet to see how far I wanted the top to stick out to make sure it wasn't too crammed.

post

Next stop, Home Depot! I took my measurements to Home Depot and had them cut two pieces of wood.

post

I also grabbed some stain and some brackets. (the wood for the top shelf only cost me a total of $15!)

post

Next, I sanded and stained my wood, wiped off the excess, then let it dry.

post

After it was dry I sealed it with polyurethane to protect from water spills.

post

Next, I installed my brackets onto the wood and attached it to the wall. 

post

I made sure the shelf height matched up with the height of the IKEA storage baskets.

(I did it this way because the space was so tight - it was easier to attach and drill the holes before adding the wood!)

Following that, I glued the smaller piece of wood to the installed top & let that dry. If you are cutting the wood yourself you can cut this all in one piece (and skip this step) but they could only cut straight cuts at Home Depot so I had to work with it

I then added a bracket to the side for extra stability.

Next it was time to organize!

Since my space was so small and I had to add the shelf sideways - I needed a bin to slide out the side. I measured and found these perfect bins at my local dollar store. They were actually flower pots that once I removed the insert became the perfect size bin!

I then organized by what I had the most of....

"skin"

"hair"

and "fragrances."

Next, I wanted to add some texture & organize the existing shelves hung above the toilet. So I grabbed some mixed baskets!

The big one was great for a first aid kit and shaving kit.

I added my straighteners, and other miscellaneous items in the others.

To finish off the look I adding an inexpensive hook from IKEA that I already had lying around for a hand towel, and some accents to personalize the space. 

I never thought my tiny bathroom could ever be this organized!

I now have easy access to everything and my mornings just became almost stress free!

I now have a place to put on my make up & I know exactly where everything is!

I hope this inspires you to get creative & solve a tight space problem in your home! 

• Judith

Soooooo, where's the picture of the finished room ? We saw the BEFORE but no AFTER.

• Del Smith Irvin

The first time I opened it there were no finished pics. I backed out and went back in and it reloaded with the finished pics

• Ethel

You have to leave plenty of space for the commode to be worked on without taking everything down. If you have ever worked on one this is a pain. What is your solution?

• Leah Edwards

Im pretty sure the wood piece is only sitting on the brackets and can simply be removed and the white shelving is certainly not attached to the floor. So..there is no problem here..

• Joe Jones

How can the wood be cut in one cut? You’d have to have plywood or wood 14”-18” wide and 20” long to make that shelf out of one piece with no glue. But the Kreg jig would be a great way to secure that glued joint.

• Patty

Such a great use of the space. Thanks for the tip.

• Carrie
    30 minutes ago

I have a small bathroom too, this is a great idea! Thanks for posting