A Brilliant Solution for Small Bathrooms With No Counter Space!

$60
1 Day

We just moved into a new apartment & our bathroom is tiny and oddly laid out with no counter space & no vanity... We had some existing shelves hung - but as you can see (even with baskets) it just wasn't enough storage....

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Since the pedestal sink and toilet were so close together there was also next to no space to add more storage. So I came up with this cheap, easy, solution! Check out the video for the how-to's!

Before  A cluttered mess...

First, I measured the distance from the edge of the toilet to the edge of the sink. Then, I measured to make sure the shelf wouldn't stick out much further than the sink and that the height was what I was looking for as well!

Next stop, IKEA! I found this bathroom shelf that fit perfectly from IKEA "VESKEN" for under $10.

(They have a lot of inexpensive bathroom shelves to choose from if you have more space than I had to work with!)

This shelf is super easy to snap together. It's 9" deep, 14 1/8 " wide, and 39 & 3/8" tall.

After assembling my shelf, I put it in place! (If you have more space this would also work well by putting it sideways!) Next, I measured the distance from the shelf to the wall & then measured above the toilet to see how far I wanted the top to stick out to make sure it wasn't too crammed.

Next stop, Home Depot! I took my measurements to Home Depot and had them cut two pieces of wood.

I also grabbed some stain and some brackets. (the wood for the top shelf only cost me a total of $15!)

Next, I sanded and stained my wood, wiped off the excess, then let it dry.

After it was dry I sealed it with polyurethane to protect from water spills.

Next, I installed my brackets onto the wood and attached it to the wall. 

I made sure the shelf height matched up with the height of the IKEA storage baskets.

(I did it this way because the space was so tight - it was easier to attach and drill the holes before adding the wood!)

Following that, I glued the smaller piece of wood to the installed top & let that dry. If you are cutting the wood yourself you can cut this all in one piece (and skip this step) but they could only cut straight cuts at Home Depot so I had to work with it

I then added a bracket to the side for extra stability.

Next it was time to organize!

Since my space was so small and I had to add the shelf sideways - I needed a bin to slide out the side. I measured and found these perfect bins at my local dollar store. They were actually flower pots that once I removed the insert became the perfect size bin!

I then organized by what I had the most of....

"skin"

"hair"

and "fragrances."

Next, I wanted to add some texture & organize the existing shelves hung above the toilet. So I grabbed some mixed baskets!

The big one was great for a first aid kit and shaving kit.

I added my straighteners, and other miscellaneous items in the others.

To finish off the look I adding an inexpensive hook from IKEA that I already had lying around for a hand towel, and some accents to personalize the space. 

I never thought my tiny bathroom could ever be this organized!

I now have easy access to everything and my mornings just became almost stress free!

I now have a place to put on my make up & I know exactly where everything is!

I hope this inspires you to get creative & solve a tight space problem in your home! 

Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Everything Red For Canada Day
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!

• Michelle Drozdibob

Yes, toilets have seats and lids and can be closed to flush. Can you guarantee that everyone, including guests, will close the seat and lid? Even so, they have to be completely wiped down, including the exterior , on a regular basis. Can the shelving area between be slid out easily? How do you clean the top and sides of the tank? It looks great, but I would construct differently...

• Gabrielle Falk

YES YES YES. You are so right, regarding shutting the toilet lid BEFORE flushing. Always keep toothbrushes, and other personal hygiene tools, in a cabinet, to avoid the spray of germs. If visitors don't shut the toot lid, make up a little, friendly sign ... say please shut the lid b4 flushing to eliminate spread of germs ... or something of that ilk. We have been doing this for YEARS.

• Short

Looks great. How about extra storage basket on top of toilet if needed

• Gabrielle Falk

Perhaps Abbie doesn't have to worry about older folk, or heavy set people using her toot. It's all about her convenience, and what she needs to do for extra storage, rather than worry about things that aren't in her agenda. I think she has done a great job, indeed, to create more storage in a tight spot.

• Kc Nordquist

I think you produced a fantastic bathroom, and a great video. I'm also wondering a few things. That bottom shelf looks like it sticks out enough to bonk a few heads of people who sit down to do their business. It would be kind of a pain to have to unscrew the shelf if you need to lift the lid to fix a constantly filling tank. I'm also thinking the shelves on the left when you sit down might cramp your style when you sit down. Am I just seeing things?